NM Blackhawk upgrades?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

philthephlier

Bearcat
I am a newbie and have been enjoying the reading as I wait for the 10 day wait to expire on my 5-1/2" blued 45 Colt. I live in Calif. Not as bad as some states yet but well on it's way. I have read some threads about replacement cylinder pins, and other mods commonly made to these guns. Can somebody tell me the most common improvements made to the Ruger single action guns?

The Happy Kaboomer

Single-Sixer
The only mods you need to do is shoot. Shoot it 1000 times and then decide what you want to change(if anything). Spend that extra $$$ on ammo, dies, powder etc.. ENJOY!

Dale53

Blackhawk
The only thing that I have done with my several Rugers (both single and double action) it is to do a trigger job. I don't believe I have ever seen a Ruger that didn't benefit from a good trigger job from someone that knows how.

Dale53

jpickar

Blackhawk
The modification I have done to any of my Rugers is go from the Bisley grip frame to the standard Balckhawk grip frame.

Now before anyone has a cow and tells me how I'm all wrong. Just remember that you Bisley fans will benefit by me switching. :)

John

contender

Ruger Guru
As mentioned above,, shoot it first, PROPERLY held, a lot and then decide if it needs any mods. A proper gripping method prevents a lot of headaches & sour grapes.
Next,, the trigger. Yes,, MOST guns can benefit from a professionally done trigger job. But,, quite often,, it's not necessary to do one. Just shoot it a lot ot smooth it up. Or,, as noted quite often,, disassembe it, fill the action with toothpaste, dry fire a lot,, clean,,, & use. (Don't allow the toothpaste to sit in the action long or it could cause problems.)
Next,, you might check the chamber throats of the cylinder. See what they measure. If you have accuracy issues,, a member here, (cas) can fix that easily.
A lot depends upon just what you expect out of your gun and what you'll be doing with it. If you want a serious match grade gun,, then be prepared to spend big $$. If you want a casual plinker or fun gun,, just shoot it a lot.
PS; Congrats on getting a great gun in a wonderful caliber.

Rclark

Hunter
just shoot it a lot.
Yep .... just shoot it.... After a while, you'll then 'feel' what modifications are necessary to make a better shooter ... if any :) . Enjoy it by shooting the heck out of it!

flatgate

Hawkeye
contender":3omrcgr8 said:
Next,, you might check the chamber throats of the cylinder.

Most important with a .45 calibre Blackhawk. Some have tight throats and some of the early guns had oversize throats. Accuracy can suffer.

Post questions in the Gunsmithing Section, if you please.

flatgate