NM Blackhawk / Pach Grip Info

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Marc S

Bearcat
Looking for a free 44 mag Hunter. . . . . .Eric? . . . . . .hello, anybody there?

contender

Ruger Guru
hittman,, many of us have an extra set or two of those "baby buggy bumpers" (A quote from Flatgate,) and don't use them. Call it instant Karma that eric is sending,,,!
Marc S,,,,,,,,, we all wish buddy,,,,,,,,,,! :D

REP1954

Blackhawk
Well if you got to put a rubber on your Blackhawk then Presentations are the way to go.

Chuckbuster

Single-Sixer
I bet after you shoot with those "Goodyears" a bit you get hold of .41 Magnum or Sgt. Schultz for some of their Extended Wood stocks...

Marc S

Bearcat
I have a set of Pach's that I picked up at a gun show for my SBH 44 mag. I have never used them and they are still in the package. I sense a lack of enthusiasm for them. I am going to put them on today and hit the range. Is the concensus that they move around to much due to the rubber construction?

jerry b

Bearcat
Well, beastly ugly they are, but I am not agin'em.

I had a set on my SBH back in the '80s, as did a buddy of mine. This is before the internet and learning that they were to be distained. We shot heavy hand loads mostly, and they worked nicely for taming felt recoil. This was before the internet and learning that one should shoot .44 Specials in one's Supers. Also, they were rugged and not slippery in wet weathers. This was before the internet and learning that guns need to remain in pristine condition and not used in mud, snow, and such. :twisted:

I like them WAY better than these finger-groove rubbers. I'll put my fingers where I please, thank you very much. They do have a particular feel about them, regardless of shooting iron upon which they are attached, sort of deep as opposed to thick. You either like them or not. At least they are cheap from the used stuff bargain bin.

I have a set on a Smith right now. Oh, the shame of it. :oops:

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
I've only shot a Super with Pach's on it one time. My hands are of a size that my pinky was wrapped around the bottom, shooting using my buddies van for support, recoil brought my hand up and then I smashed back down on the van thought I broke my pinky for a while. I'm a firm believer in they are your guns and you can do what you want with them, that's what the smiley was for in my above post. Most people probably don't care my taste in grips but I like them that's why we have so many choices. :lol:

Dana

SBH4628

Blackhawk
45Colt_Man":2xrv7leh said:
Nope just that they are ugly, and defeat the purpose of the original grips that let the gun roll in your hand. :lol:

Dana
put Pacs on a SBH years ago,45Colt is correct..it did not role in my hand. Boy did that leave a blister :cry:

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
I have a set of 41 mag"s grips on my 41 blkhk. My middle finger kept getting hit. Needed a longer grip. Switched to pacs and problems solved. greg :)

I also put a set of the Pacy Presentation grips on my stainless SBH after I got my knuckles rapped because of that stupid square trigger guard. I tried all kinds of different holds on that danged thing but could never find a comfortable grip that didn't leave me with a bruised knuckle. So I tried the Pacys. It covered the gap in between the TG and the grip that was there, felt fairly comfortable and secure when firing heavier loads, but they just looked so ugly that I couldn't stand it. So I went out and bought a set from Cary C @ CLC Grips. Never regretted it and that was three years ago. But to each his own, and I won't fault a man for trying something different. It's what is called gaining experience.
I also have that hardly used 'rubber baby bumper' grip around here somewhere and would be happy to trade it for an OM walnut set if anyone is intrested. I'd have to find it first though.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Wood, Micarta, Fake Ivory, Stag, real Ivory.......... anything but Rubber Baby Bumpers......

For me, the most painful grips I've ever "tried" were those hideous rubber things.... closely followed by Ruger's black plastics on a .44 Flattop.....

JMHO,

flatgate

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
I have fairly large hands and bought a Pachmayr grip for a Blackhawk that I used for a while and it worked just fine. I then changed back and learned how to shoot using the original wood. Never could understand the fuss except they're not exactly pretty compared to nice wood or other materials. Hell it's your gun, use what works for you. Aint much fun shooting if you're not comfortable. Pretty is fine but don't always work the best for all people. FWIW, I have rubber grips on most all of my double action revolvers. :)

bigboredad

Blackhawk
I on a super about 20 years ago because everyone said that's what I should to tame the brutal .44 mag I got a huge blister and took them off the same day. After years of looking for the brutal .44mag loads I gave up and went to the .45 even tried a bisely cause that was supposed to tame the brutal ruger only loads I smashed my knuckle so bad I traded it the same day

Marc S

Bearcat
Well, went to the range today shot 100 hot rounds with the rose grips and 100 hot rounds with the Pach's. Same groupings at 25 and 50 yards. Your right, they are a bit on the ugly side but my hand is not sore at all. Not sure I can get past the looks though.

Latest posts