NM Blackhawk cocking problem (loose base pin)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Acebrace

Bearcat
I have a pre-warning NM 357 Blackhawk which is remarkably accurate and trouble free. However, recently it's been hanging up on cocking; the transfer bar is hitting the bottom shoulder of the firing pin and preventing full cock. It appears as though the base pin has just a bit too much fore and aft play to where the spring-loaded pin at the end of the base pin isn't always do its job of pushing the transfer bar towards the rear.

What is the recommendeed cure for this situation? It seems to me a slightly oversize base pin latch would resolve it, but I don't know where to get one or if they're offered. I'd appreciate some professional advice.

Many thanks!

Acebrace

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Acebrace, Welcome to this great forum! Three things I would do before going with an oversize base pin latch. First, make sure the one in your gun is "tight". You can make the necessary "spanner" bit out of a common bit if you don't have these in your kit already. Some kits (screwdriver/bit sets) come with several spanner bits. After checking for tightness, I would look at the "spring" in the latch if tightening doesn't cure the problem. These springs get worn out and sometime "kinked" in dis-assembly! Third, I would try a "new" base pin from Brownell's to see if that cures your problem. I have made oversize base pin latches when I was engaged professionally in gunsmithing but it is a cut and try endeavor and time intensive. Usually these had to be made because the "owner" of the revolver insisted on loading cartridges to the max+ which I highly "DO NOT" recommend. A "competent" gunsmith can make this latch pin for you if that is necessary. If you have been shooting only moderate loads, then I highly doubt you need an oversize latch pin!.......................Dick :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Another thought; Check the little pin in the end of the base pin to make sure it isn't 'sticking" allowing the base pin to move. Sometimes a little crud in a small area can cause big problems.

Acebrace

Bearcat
Thanks Pinecone and Contender. At your suggestion I gave that pin at the tip of the base pin a close scrutiny; it's working fine.

I've ordered a new base pin latch, spring, and nut from Brownell's like you suggested. Althopugh the current latch doesn't show any apparent wear, it's only $12 to replace it with a new one. We'll see how it works.

Thanks again.

Acebrace.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I've cut a "chamfer and/or taper" on the "back" side of the transfer bar so it slides up and over the end of the base pin on troublesome New Models. Prior to resorting to such work I'd first inspect things very closely and see if the "bind" is the result of the base pin or transfer bar....

JMHO,

flatgate

Acebrace

Bearcat
Hi, Flatgate. I was actually just moments away from doing just that. I had the file in my hand and the magnifiers on my head. Then common sense prevailed and I remembered just in time that I am a LOUSY gunsmith. So I decided to order the base pin latch instead. I'm keeping the beveling of the transfer bar idea in reserve, but I'll need a spare on hand because I just know I'm gonna foul it up somehow...

Thanks again,

Acebrace

flatgate

Hawkeye
What kind of condition is the latch "notch" in the base pin? I've used a round "chain saw" file to recontour the notch.

If it was my gun I'd simply get a new pin and latch assembly right out of my parts box... :D

Just a thought......

flatgate

edlmann

Blackhawk
Acebrace":3u592jmr said:
I have a pre-warning NM 357 Blackhawk which is remarkably accurate and trouble free. However, recently it's been hanging up on cocking; the transfer bar is hitting the bottom shoulder of the firing pin and preventing full cock. It appears as though the base pin has just a bit too much fore and aft play to where the spring-loaded pin at the end of the base pin isn't always do its job of pushing the transfer bar towards the rear.
What is the recommended cure for this situation? It seems to me a slightly oversize base pin latch would resolve it, but I don't know where to get one or if they're offered. I'd appreciate some professional advice.

How about some opinionated amateur advice?

Extra power base pin latch spring