NIB Single Six Problem- Back to Ruger Straight From Gunshop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
I looked at a New Single Six yestarday that had a problem I have never seen before. I tried to line up the ejector to the charge hole and push the jector rod, but no matter what I did, the ejector rod would not go into the charge hole. I noticed 2 things:

When I pulled the cylinder pin forward, it came completely out of the frame. As I recall, the cylinder pin stayed in place on my long gone 1974 Single Six. I dont recall the pin coming out. Is that normal?

With the cylinder removed, I pushed the ejector rod and only the tip of the rod protruded from the rod hole in the frame. The rod would not fit through the hole and therefore could not go into the charge hole. I have never seen a defect like this before.

The gunshop took the gun off the shelf and said it had to go back to Ruger before he could sell it. This is good. A lot of stores would say that the person findingt the defect is crazy and sell it unrepaired.

flatgate

Hawkeye
surveyor47":37mnzdk5 said:
I looked at a New Single Six yestarday that had a problem I have never seen before. I tried to line up the ejector to the charge hole and push the jector rod, but no matter what I did, the ejector rod would not go into the charge hole. I noticed 2 things:

When I pulled the cylinder pin forward, it came completely out of the frame. As I recall, the cylinder pin stayed in place on my long gone 1974 Single Six. I dont recall the pin coming out. Is that normal?

With the cylinder removed, I pushed the ejector rod and only the tip of the rod protruded from the rod hole in the frame. The rod would not fit through the hole and therefore could not go into the charge hole. I have never seen a defect like this before.

Yes, the base pin on the Single-Six series is so short that it is easily removed without removing the ejector assembly.

As far as the ejector assembly, it seems somebody in Ruger's assembly area made a mistake!

flatgate

yep, even years ago, when we would get ANY make of firearm in the shop, we always checked them out ,and all too often would find "something" not quite right, and yes, we often just fixed, ( finish fit) it ourselves, and seldom had to actually "return" said item......it had to be really "fubar", and yes, they could be.............stainless guns, often will have "burrs" in different spots, but you'd of thunk, in this guns case, they would have "noticed" when they did ANY sort of "test fire"......oh well

ultramag44

Bearcat
rugerguy":261lkycb said:
yep, even years ago, when we would get ANY make of firearm in the shop, we always checked them out ,and all too often would find "something" not quite right. But you'd of thunk, they would have "noticed" when they did ANY sort of "test fire"......oh well

In the early 1980's, Colt released a group of Pythons with Un-rifled barrels! :? :shock: :(

Can you say inspection / testfire boys & girls! :roll:

Pal Val

Buckeye
The base pin comes out in the Single Six. That's no problem. I can't imagine someone either boring the hole undersize for the ejector rod, or putting in the wrong ejector rod in that gun . One for a Blackhawk? The difference in part number is just the letter before the last 2 digits. OOPS!!!!

zullo74

Bearcat
surveyor47":2mikjl5l said:
Now that Would Be a collectors item, a smooth bore Python!

That would also be quite illegal unless it was registered as a short barreled shotgun under the NFA laws. It did happen though. I remember reading about it.

Latest posts