NIB No.1 What Next?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DanManRn

Bearcat
I am going to buy a No.1 soon. What do I need to do, and look for in a NIB rifle. It will be in 300 Win Mag No.1-B. All advise will be noted and appreciated.

Thanks!
Dan

BlkHawk73

Hunter
If being owner numero uno is that important, buy new, otherwise, you can save a couple hundred dollars buying a used one. pretty darn tough to wear one out.

picketpin

Buckeye
I have 4 words about what to look for, Wood, Wood, Wood and Wood. Look for the best looking wood that your money will buy. That selkdom something NIB. A few scratches and a little wear on a early gun are just fine as long as it has killer wood.

I've read more complaints from casual #1 owners that bought one and liked it until they saw that the others at the range have much better looking wood and all of a sudden they are unhappy with theirs.

Some have complained enough Ruger has replaced their stocks butt I am always curious, why in the world buy a #1 with wood like a 2x4 in the first place????

RWT

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
The basic beauty of the No.1 in its action. I think that is why some buy a No.1 with problems or plain wood. The wood and barrel can be redone with a flip of the wrist, either now or as one goes down the road. Take some time to get familiar with it, not just shooting, but also how it really works and was put together, that can be enjoyable as well.

Depends on what you are after, a new or like new; I agree buy a nice one; whatever that is in your eyes. If your pocketbook is shy, then buy what you can and fix it up like you want as you go. The older ones have a calling, but one will usually pay collector pricing; remember an action is an action.

A No.1 action on any model has always been enticing.................and probably always will.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
picketpin":3g6e4qpm said:
I have 4 words about what to look for, Wood, Wood,
Some have complained enough Ruger has replaced their stocks butt I am always curious, why in the world buy a #1 with wood like a 2x4 in the first place????

RWT
Maybe, just perhaps, for the same reason that you see a guy with a really ugly woman......Functional, but not attractive. 8) :wink: :roll:

picketpin

Buckeye
Naw, all these girls are built exactly the same, general shape of wood, action and barrel. What sets them appart is the quality of the wood.

Lot's of wood from the mid 70s to the 80s is awfully nice. Hell, some new
ones have great wood. So if you can find one with nice wood as opposed to a plain one. why not buy good/decent wood????

Roofing inspector: Your skill set and what you want are actually quite different than the avaerage #1 owner. By most accounts and your own statements you are gong to re-barrel and re-stock most of what you buy so yes, the action is the only critical issue. Most guys have neither skills you have or desire to radically alter their #1s. Yours are built spefically to your tastes but most guys that buy an action would spend a lot of money to end up with a usable rifle, not have your skill set.

By the way I didn't say buy rare or collectable #1. I didn't even say pay a premium for the wood. Lots of run of the mill #1s have decent wood and many average rifles regarding caliber, configuration and vintage, have nice wood.

In 40 years the single biggest complaint I've seen voiced by owners is they don't like the wood on their #1 rifle. I have never seen anybody complain about the action and the complaints about barrels is usually not cosmetic but "I can't get it to shoot".

So, of the variables a guy has any control over, the wood is really the only thing he can select for other than price. Right now there are at least half a dozen 300 Win Mags, used on the web at prices substantually lower than a NIB #1 in 300 Win Mag "B". As mentioned by others, it's pretty hard to wear out a 300 Win Mag.

If $600 buys you a good looking #1 with decent wood and $550 buys you a post. Why not pay $50 extra and buy the nice one????

RWT

mattsbox99

Hunter
That is assuming you can find what you want with that wood... #1s are pretty much non existant for me locally, I bought a new one and luckily it has pretty good wood. Really, the fact that it was a Ruger was the main reason I bought it, and it being in my all time favorite caliber was another reason. On the other hand, if it had been stainless/laminate I would not have bought it. Nearly all of my guns are B/W.

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
25yrs ago I sent a 1H back to Ruger for a trigger issue.While it was there I ask if there was a possibility of getting a nicer piece of wood.This is what they sent me no charge.Wonder if they would do that today.

Number1.jpg

gcf

Bearcat
Heavy Barrel":2y7lc2l9 said:
... This is what they sent me no charge.Wonder if they would do that today.

Number1.jpg

Well, pretty hard to beat that OUTSTANDING sunburst.

That said, my No.1-A arrived NIB last year, w/ a barrel bore issue & nice - but ...uninspirational wood.

It went back to Ruger for the barrel issue (w/ a diplomatic letter to the editor), & came back a bonefide shooter - w/ a whole new set of clothes.

They do still have some decent wood stashed around that place...

1A7x57008.jpg

1A7x57009.jpg

7x57-07.jpg