NIB Mk II T512 first range trip

Help Support Ruger Forum:

m657

Buckeye
I've been searching for a beastie like this for a LONG time.....as the Mk II short bull barrel is my preferred configuration. Found a deal on a 1984(!!!) NIB model for a very reasonable price, increasingly more rare these days

Put 150 downrange, mostly at 40' grid bulls eye, but a few (reactive targets don't cha'know) golf balls.

After a few squirts of action blaster & a little Ballistol wipedown, and a couple of runs at the falling plate rack, I started with the 'how does it group and WHERE' portion of our little work out.

From seated/elbows on bench, the first magazine with HV 1230fps ammo, was in fact a GROUP but a little loose, and down around 6:30 about 4" from X.

Moved rear sight 2 full turns, group 2 @ 10 ring but still a little low.

Moved sight to right 1 turn, up 1/2 turn. Perfect little group "minute of peach pit" in the 10 ring.

Spare mags from CDNN @ $12.95 all worked well.
The trigger function was quite nice for brand new-no grittyness & very consistent feel. May benefit from a little less take-up; we'll see in a few thousand rounds.

A few months back I had a LITE in my hands for a few weeks. Given I grew up with heavy barrel weight forward designs, the LITE did not perform well, the trigger was abysmal, and for other reasons had to go back to factory. It took a bunch of fancy parts to get the trigger/slide function to work as well as the 32 year old Mk II did out of the box.

And the pleasure of comparing my 1954 RST4 side by side with the 1984 T512 was a true joy.

Hint: as much fun as the RST is, and as well as it works for 'point shooting', the T512 is better for my geezer eyes and 'circle of wobble'.

Next, the '22 fleet' will go out including the High Standards for a little bigger work out.

contender

Ruger Guru
Nothing like a few 22's downrange to make you feel good. A MKII is the premier model of that series. A few better things added from the MKI's & none of the lawyer crap of the MKIII.
Many will agree that the MKII is the best gun to own out of them.
And, when you get a herd of 22's out,,, those High Standards can & will shine as well.

arm

Bearcat
My MK II target 5.5" is a spot on shooter. I'd never give it up, great pistol.

DSCN4395_zpseiwiyo8l.jpg

arm

Bearcat
(1)Depending on the day and, steady hand, groups are average .875 using Ely Target ammunition. Good days, bad days....you know what I mean.

(2)Mounting system is a Burris long eye relief with Burris rings, tip off mounting.

(3) Volquartsen grips and, trigger group.

The red dot is a Tasco Pro Point (Japan) works well.