Next month is quail season!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
October 2nd is opening day for Gambel's quail here in Arizona!
My fence seems to attract them (I previously posted a photo of some resting in the shade on it); these were hiking along the the top of it yesterday:
rrjuja.jpg

sy8iyx.jpg

314b3t2.jpg

* 8 quail, dressed
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 8 bacon slices
* 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
(optional) Louisiana Hot Sauce

Preparation

Sprinkle quail with salt and pepper (if desired, Hot Sauce) and wrap with bacon slices. Place, breast side down, in a roasting pan. Brush with melted butter.

Bake at 425° for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 325°, and bake, covered, 40 to 45 minutes or until done. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Alternately:
Sprinkle quail with salt and pepper, (if desired, Hot Sauce) and wrap with bacon slices. Slap some butter on them and wrap individually in two layers of foil.
Stick them in the embers of a camp fire and pull them out when a tooth pick passes into them easily.

Regards,
Greg

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
The deadpan comedy of listing recipies for said birds is, well, awesome.

Heck...when season starts you can open the bedroom window an whack them without even getting out of bed. Wouldn't score any points with the better half.

Three50seven

Buckeye
Badger Matt":26msdw2e said:
Those are gorgeous birds. now don't you go and shoot the house covey or gramma's gonna get ya...

Old Man and the Boy?

Heck, we gotta stomp around in the snow all day for our bobwhite's and ya'll can shoot em off the porch! :lol:

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
Thanks all for the replies :D
blackiehawkins":2c5ir591 said:
I've chased a few of those out around Florence years ago. Beautiful birds, really great photography!
I always get a kick out of those posted signs near Florence:
STATE PRISON
DO NOT STOP
FOR HITCHHIKERS

Three50seven":2c5ir591 said:
Badger Matt":2c5ir591 said:
Those are gorgeous birds. now don't you go and shoot the house covey or gramma's gonna get ya...

Old Man and the Boy?

Heck, we gotta stomp around in the snow all day for our bobwhite's and ya'll can shoot em off the porch! :lol:
Great book!
I used to hunt in the snow. Pheasant and rabbits were the aim back then; I miss that hunting, but not the snow.

Regards,
Greg

Badger Matt, your "warning" brought back memories of when I was a kid in Northern CA and every farm wife had a "pet" covey of California quail, next cousins to the Gambels! If you wanted to hunt their land, you stayed away from the buildings and springhouse!

I was at the museum of the La Brea Tar Pits in LA the other day, looking at all the great game we "just missed by a few thousand years"--mammoths, mastodon, Antique bison, American lions, three flavors of cheetah, 3 1/2 ton ground sloths, Dire wolves, and of course 'ol Sabretooth. And one of the techs was cleaning the skeleton of.....a California quail from thousands of years ago. Takes a lot of Q-tips! I've "cleaned" a few younger ones, myself.

Great quail pix--I must say I like the paint job on Gambels a little more than Californias. Wish they didn't like to run so much, tho.

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
Without a doubt, my favorite bird to shoot is quail, which are fairly scarce, here in OH, since the blizzard of 1978. I'd love to hunt them, see a few, shoot a few and bag 1-2. I love them split over pasta...