Newly acquired Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
I just found this Security-Six recently. It is virtually in new condition thus, I had to have this later heavy barrel version with the red ramp front sight and the smooth trigger. Following are some pictures:
P1050806.jpg

P1050807.jpg

P1050808.jpg

P1050816.jpg

P1050815.jpg

P1050823.jpg

P1050829.jpg

Cholo

Staff member
Oh yeah! I have a heavy barrel 4" similar to it bought in '79. Those HB's were a bit hard to come by when I bought mine. Let's just say I have the older brother of yours :wink:

GhosT

Blackhawk
My first DA Revolver was a 6" version of the SECURITY SIX.
Traded it away almost 30 years ago....STILL MISS IT.

Envy yer purchase!!!!! ;)

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
T.A. WORKMAN":2uwix9wt said:
Nice snag Rat!!!
Those have to be one of the best
looking pair of Target Grips I've seen.
Terry

Thanks Terry! You are right about those grips-as they are the sweetest looking Ruger Target grips I've ever seen too! I'm quite proud of this late version, HB Security-Six. Although I do have one of the first HB Security-Sixes, I had always desired to find one of the latest of these with the red front sight and the smooth trigger. But,until now, I was unlucky in not being able to discover one!

Tweek

Bearcat
Sweet revolver!

I wish they would have made the GP100 look more like the Security Six, mainly the grips, and barrel rib/front sight.

They are sooo classic!

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
Magnificent gun-and that's some superb wood graining on your Target grips; my Security Six came with the Target grips, but I found them to be a tad speedloader unfriendly, so after experimenting with a set of Hogues I ended up with a set of Trausch TJ84R grips, modified for me by Jacques Trausch (with the grip's butt cut to fit the Security Six's square butt, and the left grip thumb ridge reduced and given a crescent cut to better allow for speedloaders).

There's something both rugged and attractive about your later-production Security Six, what with the heavier barrel and right side recoil shield scalloping-you've got a great piece. Let us know how it shoots!

Best, Jon

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Great looking Six! Without a doubt the best buy in a medium frame revolver. I love my Police Service Six 4 inch.

Regards,
roaddog28
RugerServiceSix.jpg

Northrunner

Bearcat
Please educate me about the "heavy barrel" you guys mention. Just this week I purchased a stainless, 4" security-six that looks exactly like the OP's except mine does not have the scallop on the right side recoil shield. Is mine anything special? Thanks...

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
Northrunner said:
Please educate me about the "heavy barrel" you guys mention. Just this week I purchased a stainless, 4" security-six that looks exactly like the OP's except mine does not have the scallop on the right side recoil shield. Is mine anything special? Thanks...
Here's a photo showing the difference in barrel profiles (heavy on the bottom):
ic3bsx.jpg

The "scallop" in the recoil shield appeared in the early 80's (1982?). That's just about the middle of the production years, so I imagine there are quite a few out there without it (mine for sure :)). I think all the Sixes are special :D
Regards,
Greg