Newly acquired GP100 in 4" SS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NCMountains

Bearcat
Just bought a new Ruger GP 100 and need to know what has been echoed on other boards and that is, "Do you go ahead and get Wolff Springs for this gun?"

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
I would not get the Wolf springs kit yet. The new GP100s are not bad out of the box. Also they will break in with some dry firing.

Good luck,
roaddog28

revhigh

Hawkeye
wixedmords":13chxo0t said:
Put 500 rounds through it and then reassess the situation.

Absolutely !! Don't do anything other than shoot it at this point.

REV

Predator2525

Bearcat
I agree with everyone here NCM, picked up my 6" GP100 today. ordered the wolf springs and they got here before the gun did! I knew I wouldnt be putting them in till I broke the gun in but, after dry firing a few times I can see I probably wont even have to change the main spring, maybe the trigger later on but that's it! SA is smooth as silk already but DA will need some breaking in. Taking it out tomorrow to see what kind of patterns I have. I did take it apart some just to blow anything out of it that might be lurking there. Changed the front sight and I'm ready to go! Good Shootin'

Emaho

Bearcat
I totally agree with the advice posted so far. I'd not do anything but maybe clean factory grease from a new gun. After a year and about 1000 rounds through my GP100, the trigger has improved dramatically! No need for spending money on what is, essentially, a very fine trigger.

Don't forget, Rugers can be dry fired forever without damage. That's the first thing I did, and would advise new owners. Wear those finger muscles out!!! A wee bit of gun lube would be good, also.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Emaho":16o232xx said:
Don't forget, Rugers can be dry fired forever without damage. That's the first thing I did, and would advise new owners. Wear those finger muscles out!!! A wee bit of gun lube would be good, also.

Not exactly. Dry firing is actually adding wear to parts of the gun other than the ones associated with the trigger. For example the cylinder stop latch and the cylinder notches, the hammer strut and the pawl teeth.

It is not a bad idea to use dry firing to loosen-up a gun especially when new and if it is done the way the gun is going to be shot, slow and deliberate, both single-action and double-action. It is also a good opportunity to practice sight picture, and trigger control.

If you want to smooth the action more after the gun is reasonably broken-in then I would recommend the IBOK for a good buff and polish of mating parts. Reduced power springs can make a big difference in the trigger pull to the point where ignition becomes spotty. As in most things moderation is the key. Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new gun. :D :D

...Jimbo

Emaho

Bearcat
Good advice, Jimbo: I rarely dry fire mine now, since they're well broken in. A Ruger factory rep told me I'd never wear anything out on my revolvers...and I believe him. I agree moderation, the middle path as The Buddha taught, is nearly always the wisest. Thanks for your thoughts.

NCMountains

Bearcat
Thanks for all the feedback and advice. I will put a few hundred rounds through the beast at first then reassess the trigger.

Heck, it may be fine like others posted the way it is.

revhigh

Hawkeye
All my DA/SA Ruger revolvers have been just fine (actually quite excellent) in SA. IF I want to shoot a revolver DA, I just shoot one of my Pythons. :D

REV

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag":1o0teprr said:
Emaho":1o0teprr said:

Not exactly. Dry firing is actually adding wear to parts of the gun other than the ones associated with the trigger. For example the cylinder stop latch and the cylinder notches, the hammer strut and the pawl teeth.

It is not a bad idea to use dry firing to loosen-up a gun especially when new and if it is done the way the gun is going to be shot, slow and deliberate, both single-action and double-action. It is also a good opportunity to practice sight picture, and trigger control.

If you want to smooth the action more after the gun is reasonably broken-in then I would recommend the IBOK for a good buff and polish of mating parts. Reduced power springs can make a big difference in the trigger pull to the point where ignition becomes spotty. As in most things moderation is the key. Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new gun. :D :D

...Jimbo

Buy some snap caps. There cheap. Then the drying firing won't be a issue.
roaddog28

NCMountains

Bearcat
Thinking of sight systems I did order the HiViz front sight system with interchangable fiber optic poles.
[/img]

Predator2525

Bearcat
Hi NCM, took my GP100 6" out for first time today, Awesome! SA is great already, DA will have to work a little more, slight drag halfway thru pull. I put the Marble Arms pistol green fiber on mine before I left. It's the .332 part #101003. Works great! One problem though, now the square sight in the rear is too large of a sight picture. Too much gap and I have to center. Going to get the V sight available. You might want to do the same. Whatever Fiber optics you get may give you the same trouble. I prefer a closer sight picture than having to center each time. Other than that. Great Shootin'!

NCMountains

Bearcat
Thanks for the heads up!

Predator2525":tfr3ihsg said:
Hi NCM, took my GP100 6" out for first time today, Awesome! SA is great already, DA will have to work a little more, slight drag halfway thru pull. I put the Marble Arms pistol green fiber on mine before I left. It's the .332 part #101003. Works great! One problem though, now the square sight in the rear is too large of a sight picture. Too much gap and I have to center. Going to get the V sight available. You might want to do the same. Whatever Fiber optics you get may give you the same trouble. I prefer a closer sight picture than having to center each time. Other than that. Great Shootin'!

Hyp-storian

Bearcat
NCMountains":15w0qyuw said:
Thanks for all the feedback and advice. I will put a few hundred rounds through the beast at first then reassess the trigger.

Heck, it may be fine like others posted the way it is.

I've had my new SS 4" about 3 weeks now and have fired it at the range about 120 times and dry fire it at home about 10 - 20 times a day, and the double action is already EXCELLENT right out of the box. Smooth as can be and not "heavy" at all.
I also asked a retired cop buddy what he thought (he's had loads of different guns over the years), and he loved it too. REALLY loved it!
I was expecting to have to get a Wolff trigger action job before taking delivery, but, for my GP100 at least, it's not necessary at ALL.

NCMountains

Bearcat
That is nice to hear Hyp-storian. I will definitely put some rounds through it first then see where we are. I have read so many post on stoning the trigger; putting in Wolff springs; doing the IBOK to it and so on.

I do hate the front sight so I did buy the HiViz to replace it. Actually got the multi-pak for different lighting situations.

Merlinspop

Bearcat
Some folks love to tinker and can't resist changing out parts and just 'doing stuff' to things they buy in an attempt to improve it (at least in their mind). There's noting wrong with that, provided it's still safe.

On the other hand, straight stock is pretty dang good as is. The only thing (so far) I've done to my 4" blue GP is drop in the HiViz front sight. Didn't change the POI a bit and these eyes that are worn out from staring at too many computer monitors can see it a whole lot better.

Hyp-storian

Bearcat
NCMountains":3mi5l5nj said:
That is nice to hear Hyp-storian. I will definitely put some rounds through it first then see where we are. I have read so many post on stoning the trigger; putting in Wolff springs; doing the IBOK to it and so on.

I do hate the front sight so I did buy the HiViz to replace it. Actually got the multi-pak for different lighting situations.

Yep, I read all those posts too and that's why I was expecting to have to modify the trigger. Don't know if the triggers on the newest models are somewhat improved or if I just lucked out, but I think the action is absolutely perfect just the way it is now.
As for the front sight- I'm not crazy about it either, but it's fine for target shooting, and if I ever have a home invasion (unlikely but always "possible") our bedroom is pitch black so a hi-viz sight would be pretty useless too; so if that ever happens my wife knows to shine her reading lamp at the door opening and brightly illuminating (and partially blinding) any unlucky slob who has the bad luck to invade our home.

Merlinspop: I know what you mean about some folks liking to "tinker" and change things, but I learned early on in life that I'm NOT good at tinkering, and that it's a lot safer (and ultimately less expensive!) to pay someone who knows exactly what he's doing rather than breaking stuff by being clumsy/impatient.

donutsrule

Bearcat
I probably would have left our GP100 stock but my wife had real issues with the trigger. I put in the lightest springs: the biggie wasn't difficult (and if you ask my wife if I'm handy, she'll start laughing), but the trigger group was a real PITA to get out. I did finally get it, though.

My wife likes the trigger a lot more now. Just need to put a ton of rounds through it to make sure it still goes "bang" with the new springs.

piratedude

Single-Sixer
I dry fire all of my guns and dry fire them a lot. It makes you a better shot. I also shoot my guns. Both shooting guns and dry firing guns will put wear and tear on them. At some point the guns will wear out and I will have to buy new guns. If you don't want to risk wearing out your guns, put them in a safe and don't shoot them. Of course you could just not buy them in the first place, but its your money.....