Newer/Newest Stainless Super Blackhawk Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tek4260

Buckeye
Since I've had 2 454 SBH Bisleys sitting in the safe since late last year, I figure it's time to start tinkering on them. I'm no fan of the Bisley, but it was the only way they came and I planned to convert them to SBH Dragoon frames and hammers along with 4 5/8" barrels and alloy ejector rod housings.

I know that Ruger standardized the "height" of the rear of the frame some time back, so the Bisley shouldn't be any taller than the latest Super Blackhawk frames which will save some headache. The question is have they done away with the locator tabs on the Super frames like they did on the Bisley and steel XR3 frames? Does anyone have a really recent, 2015 or newer, Stainless Super Blackhawk to look at the grip frame and frame to check for the tabs and relief cuts in the cylinder frame?

I'd hate to offer up all these Bisley parts for a trade and find out that I had to cut the tabs just to check the fit of the Super parts.

So does anyone have a real recent Super that they have had apart?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I don't know about the tabs but don't forget the triggers also. That's quite a project for a couple of SBH 454's. Good luck. :D

tek4260

Buckeye
Yep, I have all the parts in blued laying around. I guess I need to try them out and make sure there are no issues with timing, etc.

I'd have to trade frames, hammers, triggers, and the upper two screws along with grips. I'm pretty sure there won't be an issue, other than having to cut, crown, drill and tap for ERH in that hard as hell stainless steel.... :)

tek4260

Buckeye
I'll also be using an alloy ERH with a stud added between it and the barrel to take the load rather than the screw. Something tells me that the way they are now, with that long steel housing supported only by epoxy and the screw, won't last long...

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Being as how you want to trade parts you should come out ahead as Bisley parts fetch a premium. Maybe enough to pay for the shorter barrel and ejector housing. :D

Latest posts