Newbie with question regarding Old Model SBH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Amanda4461

Bearcat
Hi folks,
I just returned from a local gun show with Old Model Super Blackhawk serial 24xxx. The frame has a slight "purple" tint (Nickel Steel, or ?) and of course, no transfer bar. If it has been shot since new, I can't tell it. No powder marks, no powder or marks at the topstrap or forcing cone, and the counter-bored cylinder has no powder or other marks, other than a very slight turn line.
Can someone tell me the manufacturing date? I assume I need to treat this Ruger like my Colt SAA, and carry 5 rounds only? I liked the 3-screw look with no lawyer crap written on the barrel. I wasn't aware that you could buy a Ruger without the "read the owner's manual and don't blow your head off" writing on the barrel.
I have no idea of the worth of this gun. I intend to just shoot it and enjoy it with my S&W 29-2. It looks brand new, so maybe it will be a good shooter.
Thanks to everyone for your help in determining when it was made.
Amanda, a convert from 1911-land, already loading 240gr LSW with 2400. Do I really need Magnum primers?? :shock:

Hi,
Welcome to the Forum and the World of old Rugers
Your Super was made in 1966. Probably worth around $500-$550.
Ya we in Ruger Land like the Plum/Purple frames :D :D
I have loaded 2400 without mag. primers and it went bang. A nice plinking load is 5.5 231 or 5.0 700X and 240 LSW
Jim

A couple of Supers.
pair44s-1.jpg

Amanda4461

Bearcat
Thanks Guys!
I appreciate knowing the year made, and the link to the mfg data was nice.
I'll load the LSWC 2400 ammo with standard primers, and save the magnums for JHP/JSP loads.
If it doesn't rain, maybe I can shoot this made in 66 pistol for the first time in over 40 years tomorrow :D
Amanda

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to our humble Forum!
You have scored a jewel. (Ladies always seem to get the jewels!) :D The factory website isn't always correct as to when it was shipped. The best method to finding out when it was shipped, is to place a call to Ruger Records, at (603)-863-3300, ask for records, and the nice ladies there will give you the month & year of shipment. Plus, just for the asking, you will get a manuel, and a letter about this gun,, all for free.
PS; Beaumont is a nice area. I haven't been there in many years,, but I enjoyed it way back when!

jerry b

Bearcat
The loading manuals I have now say standard primers with 2400. My Speer manual specifically states that performance was improved when they developed loads with standard primers and not to use magnum primers.

Again, Keith was right long before everyone else caught on.

Dave T

Single-Sixer
Wyandot Jim":1sdsvh7h said:
Probably worth around $500-$550.

No offense to WJ but I'd like to see how many like new, un-modified, 3-screw SBHs he can come up with for that price. A minimum of $700 is more realistic and many will ask $900 and not blink.

Dave

Dave T":368zcv5x said:
Wyandot Jim":368zcv5x said:
Probably worth around $500-$550.

No offense to WJ but I'd like to see how many like new, un-modified, 3-screw SBHs he can come up with for that price. A minimum of $700 is more realistic and many will ask $900 and not blink.

Dave

Dave no offense taken fer sure. This is my experience with Supers.

Well the one on the right is a 80 prefix unfired.
When do want me to ship it to Ya for that $900 without brass frame.
Same deal goes for the left one the left 1/16" S/Ns MICRO rear sight two pice box 1800 made. Ivory grips not included :roll:
I paid $550 and $600 :D
Just sold a 99% 80 prefix no box for $500 to a RF member. I paid $550 with box. Ya need a Box???? :roll:
Jim
pair44s-1.jpg

flatgate

Hawkeye
Nice find! Those Old Model Super Blackhawks are addictive. I know a couple of guys from Utah that "have it bad".

Yes, a red or plum tint is not unusual.......

357690092.jpg

flatgate

PS Load one, skip one, load four, pull hammer to full cock then gently lower it down over the empty chamber. Just like a Colt.

Dave T

Single-Sixer
Wyandot Jim":z51fnntr said:
When do want me to ship it to Ya for that $900 without brass frame.

I didn't say I would paying $900 for a SBH, just that I haven't seen a 3-screw for sale for $500-$550 for quite some time.

If you're willing to sell the one with the Micro sight for that price range maybe we can talk. (smile)

Dave