Newbie - opinions wanted - SBH Hunter w/ Burris 2-7

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mncampnhunt

Bearcat
Ok - I'm intrested in opinions and experiences - newbie to this site.
I'm about to purchase a Minnesota Whitetail hunting rig - a SBH Hunter that I plan on putting a Burris 2-7 scope on. Been planning this now for 3+ years. Own many ruger long guns and use to have a Super Redhawk with a red dot that I hunted with 20 years ago (until we had our daughter - now she's in college), got one deer with that gun, that was fun. Most deer I've shot are from tree stands @ 25-75yds. Back then the only factory ammo that seemed up to the task was 240gr XTP's from Hornady (they were new then). Picked up a new Uncle Mikes bandoleer holster (like I had before), already. Now in mid 50's and use reading glasses so am thinking the magnification and crosshairs will be better than the red dot - thoughts?
??? This would be my first internet gun purchase - thinking Guns Midwest out of KC - any advice ??? ($175 less than Cabelas and no state tax)
??? I'm 80% sure I'll need to use the "high" rings (5K) - can anyone confirm that???
Now I'm thinking about getting into reloading too (44 Mag is about $45 for target ammo here in MN - ouch that got $)
I'd like to shoot 240gr plated bullets (Berry or Rainier) at ~950fps for general plinking. And also a 240gr XTP hunting round at ~1350fps (or maybe more). Any favorite powders and charge weights for these?
Going to keep the reloading equipment simple, thinking Lee 90045 press, 4-die set and ram prime.
??? Should I go for there case length trimmer right away???
??? At 200-300 rounds a year (I hope) what would you suggest for powder handling???
1. low cost digital scale, dippers and trickle? 2. Lee's beam scale, dippers and trickle? 3. Perfect Powder measure (and a check scale) or 4. Autodrum (and a check scale)
Seems the powder measuring is more confusing than the rest. While I own a 30.06 (Ruger M77 stainless) - I really don't shoot it enough to think about loading (but I'll start saving my brass).
??? I'm also thinking that I'm going to make a one time buy of target loads from LAX ammo - there 240 gr - $120 for 250 rds - any advice there ???

pisgah

Buckeye
My personal experience -- and yours could be different -- is that 7X is way too much magnification for a handgun scope. 2X is about the max I want and, frankly, a dot with no magnification suits me just fine out to 100 yards. As a 64-yr.-old bifocal-wearer, the dot poses no sighting difficulty for me except when I turn up the dot intensity too high for conditions -- then, it gets a bit fuzzy, but is still fine for short shots. I set the intensity just high enough to give me a sharp dot, and check it every now and then as the conditions change.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
A 2-4X scope is more than enough.

Jump right in and enjoy a SBH in 44 magnum and reloading for it. It is most enjoyable to load the 44 magnum. It is a good cartridge to start with because there are so many powders and bullets to choose from. The amount of powder in the case is easy to handle. I shoot copper plated bullets without any problems but the velocity must be kept down to cast lead levels. Hodgdon lists many powders and bullets at different levels for everything from mild to wild. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

I will list some of the powders I like for the 44 magnum with a 240 grain bullet: Universal, Blue Dot, Accurate #9, and for heavy loads only H-110/W296.

Yetiman

Bearcat
I have a Bisley Hunter 44 that I have been shooting and experimenting with for 6 or 7 years now.

In had a bit of custom work done on it, and have done a good bit of fire lapping on the barrel which has improved the accuracy.

I originally put a Burris 2-7x32 scope on it. First off, using the #4 rings that came with the revolver I had to remove the rear sight for the scope to clear. I switched to #5 rings that would allow me to keep the rear sight mounted.

I also thought the setup was heavier than I liked. It definitely tames recoil ! (Too much so actually). It took some of the fun out of shooting 44 mag for me.

I had the scope come apart internally and never mounted the replacement scope.

That scope was only useful at 2 to about 3.5x as it would run out of eye relief at higher settings (and I have short arms). I then used an Ultradot 30 with great success including a one shot "DRT" kill on a six point buck last year at 93 yards.

This year I started using a Leupold 2x scope which I like a lot. I am torn between it and the Ultradot, and find I like them both about the same.

I have shot deer with 300 and 240 grain XTP's, and they have all been hit right where I wanted to hit them. None have moved more than 20 feet after being hit so far.

That's in four deer so far anyways.

I have settled on 240 grain XTP's as my go to hunting load.

I have used IMR4227 (a touch more accurate) and Win 296 (a bit faster moving) as my go to powders for XTP hunting rounds. My win 296 240 XTP hunting load which is right around Hornady book max (maybe a few tenths beyond) comes out of my Hunter at a little over 1400 fps and will put six rounds in 2 1/4" at 50 yards.

My Bisley Hunter (note that the scope is in the taller #5 rings here. They have been switched to the lower #4's since the pic was taken).
ypcQYwP.jpg

rangerbob

Buckeye
The powders already mentioned will work fine. For magnum loads with the XTP, check out Alliant's 300mp, it's the next step up from H110/WW296. I would highly recommend Lee's # 90699 powder measure to go along with the press, dies, and ram prime you mentioned. Using the chart and a little math, it can be set just about right on the first try. Forget about trimming 44 magnum brass if you start with new or once fired brass, at least to start with. You'll need a good scale, either a balance beam or electronic. Use a magnum primer for the magnum loads and standard primers for the practice ammo. W-W claims theirs works for either. I'd start with new Starline brass if I could and never look back. I've been reloading now for 51 years and use the Lee and Lyman ram prime systems exclusively, having tried everything else. Bob! 8)

jsh

Single-Sixer
I guess I am the odd man out on glass. I find 2x nothing more than a tube with a cross hair in it. I would go with a dot before I went with another 2X myself.

A 4x is better and I have nothing against 2-7 or even a 3-9. All depends on what you are capable of and what you are wanting/expecting. If I choose to take a 100 yard shot, I want some magnification.

Presses dies brass etc. You get what you pay for. I won't get into brands or colors.
Some of the "package" deals are fine, others....
Your first step into reloading? How old are you? Buy on the cheap, then get into it more and you find your equipment is not what you really expected. Then you decide to up grade. Your first purchase is worth little. Buy quality, then if it doesn't interest you, you at least don't take it in the pocket as hard.
Starline brass and don't look back.
Primers I prefer CCI.
240 grain bullets for the 44 mag, best all around choice.
Powder. I would direct you towards 2400 and unique. Some complain here it's "dirty", I guess they don't clean guns. It wipes off real easy. H110/296 if you feel the need.

Guns mid west, I have dealt with him face to face on a couple. Nice guy to work with.

Buy the gun from him and I will fix you up with some cast bullets!

PM me if you do and we can go from there.
Jeff

mncampnhunt

Bearcat
Thanks all - especially on the scope - really got me thinking I should back down to just a fixed 2X. It is really hard to know what to do without the chance to use it for a while and at $300+ for a scope that a big "gamble". Two of the reasons for having planned (note past tense) on the 2-7X was the 32mm objective gathering more light then the 20mm that is on either the 2X scopes. Second was my recollection of the old red dot covering up the lions share of the target at 100yrd when I was in sandbags at the range 20 years ago with the SRH - that cross hairs and magnifacation would solve. What I'm hearing is that there really is little to be gained by anything much over 2 so why have the size, weight and investment in a varible scope. I picked the Burris for 2 reasons, first that there field of view at low power was highest and that they have a pretty good rep with handgun scopes (Leupold being the other one I'd trust - both have 21' FV at 100yds - Leupold is shorter and lighter). This might make me explore "reflex" type sites like the Burris FastFire.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Hang on there campnhunter, I have several scoped Ruger handguns. One of my favorite is a 10.5" Super BH with a 2-7 Burris Posi-Lock Darn fine scope Not a Hunter version, but with the Weaver 301 mount.
KK2lKKql.jpg
Here is a target with 3 shots 20.1 gr of AA#9, 240 gr XTP WLP primed .44 Mag distance 120 yards I am trying to post picture of 10.5 Super Stay with your plans of 2-7 Burris

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

I've been handgun hunting deer since the early 1980's. I have used a Redhawk, some various Single-Actions,,, and my T/C Contender a lot.
My Contender has seen the most use,,, and ALL of my hunting barrels wear a scope. My most common barrel is a 7x30 Waters & it wears a 2x7 scope. I also use a higher magnification a lot,, as I like to "place" my bullets. I'm also patient,, and wait for the best angles & presentation to make my shot. I also make a lot of neck shots,, as it's a DRT killing shot,,, and doesn't ruin any meat. BUT,, my target area like that is about 3" at best. That's when the scope shines,, and the higher magnification helps a lot.
But I also have several red dot's on other handguns I use. I find the UltraDot's are quite good.

If I were you,,, I'd look hard at an UltraDot,,, as it will be an excellent solution to your questions. Aging eyes,, makes it "interesting" to say the least. You have can see all around a deer and yet,, the dot will be "there" easily.

Reloading,,, only your gun can tell you what it prefers. Keep any plated bullets at speeds used for lead bullets. Hornady XTP's are still a good bullet. But,,, if you shoot one at say 950 fps,, and the other at 1350 fps,,, then you will see an impact difference.

May I suggest you look into a quality hard cast bullet,,, and load it in about the 1100 fps range,, and it will be comfortable to shoot, as well as kill any deer you may wish to take. And if you work on just one load,, then you will not have to worry about impact changes,, and can practice with the same load you use to hunt with.

As for equipment,, start with a couple of good reloading manuals. Those are necessary tools on all benches. Let it be the first piece of equipment you buy. Study,, then buy what will fit your needs.

pisgah

Buckeye
The 32mm objective really gives no advantage over the 20mm. At 2x, the 20mm gives you a 10mm exit pupil, while the 32mm gives a 16mm exit pupil, which sounds like an advantage -- but the maximum pupil size of a young eyeball is only about 5mm, and decreases with age. Both the 20mm and the 32mm provide more light than your eye can use!

skeeter

Single-Sixer
I'd go with a good 2x scope over a red dot. Most shots in MN are at dusk. The scope gathers light and red dots don't. Also you have to deal with dot intensity as it gets darker. I use a Nikon 2x on a super red hawk.

Latest posts