newbie here/perplexing question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

winchesterbilly

Bearcat
:( I have a vaquero SS 4 5/8 barrel in 45 colt. When I got the gun I could hit a paper plate at 100 yds 3 out of 5 shots(with witnesses) I had a trigger job done by a gunsmith I consider very competent. It seems that ever since then it shoots about 10-12 in to the right at 25yds. Have you ever heard of anything like this? After reading the smithing forum,I checked everything out ie: timing,cyl end shake,etc. The only thing I've found is the typical undersized throats. Any thoughts????

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Well, it's hard to diagnose a problem like this on the net,, but MAYBE it's how you are shooting it. You've had a trigger job done,, but nothing else, so,,, it might well be the difference in how you now shoot it.

Enigma

Hunter
I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but have someone else shoot it. That will either eliminate operator error, or confirm it.

COR

Blackhawk
One thing that I have always had issues with on the SS Vaqueros is the glare that the front sight gives under any bright conditions. Have you tried blackening the sight a little? It may not be a fix but I can tell you that this time of year in Pa when the sun comes out and the snow glares of the sight it can produce some erratic results.

If it happened after the trigger work that is odd. Take it to Mr. 'Smith and have him test fire it for you.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have always preferred stainless guns. I not only like their looks but their "ease of maintenance" has always appealed to the "lazy in me".

However, when I decided I wanted to compete in the pistol side matches at BPCR silhouette matches (requirements were fixed sights and black powder) I realized that one of my favorite match venues had the shooters standing in the sun. I KNEW I would never be able to shoot those shiny sights on the stainless Vaqueros. So, I opted for the blued Vaquero. Subsequent events proved that a good choice.

Do as the other poster suggested, and use some sight black and a good rest. It is also a good idea to have one of the range "hotshots" shoot it also. THEN, you'll know where to look for the problem.

FWIW
Dale53

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
I'll take a stap at it. From my own experience in shooting my Smith & Wessons I have found that I shoot better groups double action. I think this is because I grip the gun more firmly than when I shoot single action. When I shoot single action my grip is a bit more loose. Now with your new trigger job you might be less firm on your grip because your trigger finger doesn't have to press as hard. :?

maxpress

Buckeye
I was going to say looser grip with a lighter trigger but ruger1441 beat me to it.
your hammer is probably falling slower to. so any pull left that you nomally have before the bullet leaves the bore will be eccentuated (i assume your a righty) that was what i had to get over when i first started firing .44 vaqueros

winchesterbilly

Bearcat
Thank you all for your response. I to thought that when the trigger was done that I needed to just get used to it. I have been chasing this ghost for about a year now. And it has me dumb founded!! I've owned this gun about 3 yrs know and was very familer with it, Its my favorite shooter. Guess its time for a trade in!!! Thanks again!

cas6969

Buckeye
The heavy trigger pull might have had you correcting without knowing it.

Could it be the gunsmiths action job included adding a reduced main spring?

That can effect accuracy in a few ways. Increased lock time, the slow hammer fall gives you more time to move off target. Also in some cases it can cause inconsistent primer ignition.

A lot of people will dispute this, but I've seen it first hand with my own guns. Drove me crazy till I realized what it was. All my reduced springs went in the trash years ago because of it.

winchesterbilly

Bearcat
Thats an idea, As a last resort, I'll talk to the smith nxt week and see what he thinks and go from there. Hate to chop up a clean firearm but its of no use the way it is... I'll post results!!

winchesterbilly

Bearcat
Ok, So I dropped by the gunshop and the smith checked it out. He doesn't see anything except that I'm very anal about keeping it clean. He is going to shoot it this week and see what he gets. Will post results!

WANT A LCR 22LR

Bearcat
cas":2rlgfoin said:
The heavy trigger pull might have had you correcting without knowing it. . . .
. . .A lot of people will dispute this, but I've seen it first hand with my own guns. Drove me crazy till I realized what it was.

I know that when dry firing my untouched LCR, the gun pulls up. The gun grip is short and small, not enough to fill my hand leaving the little finger nothing to grip. Pulling the trigger allows my hand to close further making the gun roll up.

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
Winchesterbilly,
Where did your Vaq hit at 25yds. prior to the action job?
Where does it hit at 100 yds. now?
How does your 100 yd. sight picture differ from your 25 yd. sight picture?
Were all the shots rested? All unsupported? Some of each, etc.?
Trigger finger position differences?
Gun Hand position differences?
Same ammo, powder charge, bullet weight and type, etc.?
Do you wear hearing protection all the time while shooting?
Both eyes open all the time? One eye squinted? Some of each?
Does your gun still surprise you when it fires?

More pertinent info might help folks diagnose your problem.

Rich