newbie here/perplexing question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

winchesterbilly

Bearcat
:shock: Still waiting on the smith, but with 2ft of snow on the ground I think it will be awhile before he shoots her. Thanks again to all who posted responses and have tried to help.

winchesterbilly

Bearcat
Went to the gun shop yesterday. Bought a new turret press. The smith shot my gun and said it throws 2-3 fliers out of every full cyl. no matter what ammo. They are sending it back to ruger. I wonder when I might see it again?

lfpiii

Blackhawk
I sent a brand new unshoot New Vaquero back to the factory because of timming issues and it took less than a month. Make sure that you remind the factory to call or email you before they send the gun back so you can be home for UPS. I was lucky that I was off the day the gun came back or UPS would have sent it back to Ruger that same day.

Keep us posted.

Olsherm

Blackhawk
If I could hit a paper plate at 100 yards i would get in the show with Bob Munden. Maybe you just need to move the plate a little farther out? Too close. Just being a smarty pants. I had a new vaquero rechambered from 357 to 38/40 by a real competent smith and so far I have not been able to hit very well with it either. Trigger pull is a lot less than before????

winchesterbilly

Bearcat
This was my first Ruger SA. When I was looking at it the guy took me out back to shoot it. It was the first gun that I could hit anything I pointed it at. Needless to say it was sold and I was hooked. I had 2 years of enjoyment from it. Now I'm afraid those will be the good ole days!!!! Nobody believes the plate at 100 yds. My buddies didnt..... Til they witnessed it. You can call me a bullsh*%ter... I've been called worse. :wink:

winchesterbilly

Bearcat
The funny thing is, The smith says low and to the left I say low and to the right but I'm a sth pawl. Maybe it is too lite a trigger!?!? Hummmm! :wink:

louiethelump

Buckeye
"That can effect accuracy in a few ways. Increased lock time, the slow hammer fall gives you more time to move off target. Also in some cases it can cause inconsistent primer ignition.

A lot of people will dispute this, but I've seen it first hand with my own guns. Drove me crazy till I realized what it was. All my reduced springs went in the trash years ago because of it."

You can bet that your "action job" included a change in springs to a lighter main spring. I have never understood this need folks have to lighten the main spring on a single action, but that is what they do.

If you do a LOT of reading on gunsmithing and gun repair in general as I have over the past 30 years, you will find NUMEROUS stories of accuracy destroyed by lightening the firing pin strike on the primer. This includes bolt action rifles where the owner used grease on the striker and took it out in cold weather and accuracy went to poop. This may be what you did with the action job. Lightened firing pin strike on the primer. If the primer; especially the primers used in magnum ammo; are not hit hard enough and consistently enough, it will cause wide velocity variations, that may not show up on the target at 25 yards, but will at 100 yards. In addition, the slower hammer fall will allow more time between release and impact, and cause any lack of follow through on the part of the shooter, to be seen on the target.

In short, go back to a full strength main spring and this may fix your accuracy problem.

It is worth a try. If you sent your gun back to Ruger and it has light springs in it, it will not come back to you with those light springs. Ruger will undo that action job for you and get your gun shooting properly again.

For some reason, many of us think we know better about how the gun should be made than a company that had spent thousands or in some cases millions in research and development and built hundreds of thousands of them.

Best of luck

Louie