Newbe Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Grace17

Bearcat
Hi guys...

I have a question I was wondering if you pros could answer for me. I recently aquired Ruger Type 2a 44 Mag Blackhawk. SN 2228.

Will it hurt the value of the piece if I send it to Ruger to have it restored?

2 things: someone removed the black anodization from the aluminum grip frame and the front sight was re-attached screwing up the blueing on the barel.

Also: if anyone has a set of origional grip panels for this piece I'd be interested in buying.

Hey Grace17,
First welcome to the forum.
My two cents worth.
The value has already been hurt by a bad job on the front sight.
I don't believe Ruger will re-anodize your grip frame. They don't have any NEW XR-3s
What I would do is have a good smith or someone like our member Rugerguy fix the screw-ups. No matter what it is going to be a reblued/fixed gun. So just shoot the crap out of it and be happy. Ya probably have a Type 2
Ya need walnut grips they go for $100-150
Oh ya I have a shooter and a goodin
Jim

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Jim is correct..I have seen "Rugerguy"s work on here. He does great work. Plus he would keep it to your low number statis.I'm sure he will chime in later :D

Grace17

Bearcat
Hi...thanks for the welcome and thanks for the quick replys and advice...well, maybe I should just keep it the way it is then and not have it worked on. I only gave a couple hundred for it so It's not like I'm out a ton of bucks.

I think it is a type 2a because it has the wide land on the cylinder pin tip. I could be wrong about that or not looking at it right or something. I've only been collecting Rugers a couple years. I'm greener than green! :)

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Sorry ..Welcome to the forum. You don't seem that green if you think you have a type two Ruger :? We would glad to see some pics :D

Beauetienne

Single-Sixer
I have fond memories of firearms that became projects for me.

FWIW, I would make sure that my money first went to correcting sight issues or other such mechanical work. The finish can come later.

Enjoy and welcome.

Grace17

Bearcat
Yes, I will be glad to post pics...

I've been doing a lot of research the last two years and if there is one thing I've learned is that the more I learn, the more I understand just how little I know.

You pros are the best! Any and all insight will be truely appreciated.

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Me a 'Pro" no way...Always something to learn on here everyday.
The smart guys live north of you :D

flatgate

Hawkeye
I know several Collectors in the Salt Lake City area that have extensive knowledge of the early Ruger Flattops. Getting them to speak up can be a minor difficulty........ :D

A "shooter grade" Flattop is not a "real collectors' item" UNLESS it's s/n is consecutive to a gun owned by a "totally bonkers" collector.

I know this guy in Wyoming that did a back flip when he found, due to the efforts of a dear friend, a consecutive s/n'd gun to one he had. Both guns are a very rare variation and putting the pair together is still an awesome feat despite the condition of one of the pair.

Any sort of restoration work SHOULD be aimed at getting the gun to look like it "was shipped" and no "out of Factory" changes.

So, perhaps a trip to a "restoration shop" in lieu of the Factory may be a better choice.......

Now, if you plan on it being a shooter then, IMHO, remove the lockwork and cylinder and send 'er in....

JMHO,

flatgate

. . . and just remember that a "restored" gun is no longer an original gun. It's quite possible to bring the gun back to the same condition as when it originally shipped, but you will likely never recover the money spent doing so.

I have both .357 and .44 "Flatties", neither of which is pristine. They are "shooters" as Flatgate mentions and I enjoy them as such.

Your gun . . . your money . . . your choice.

And welcome to RugerForum, where we all sympathize with your predicament.

;)

contender

Ruger Guru
I have to second the comments above about skipping Ruger as the place to go for getting that fine OM back in shape. Especially since they will remove the OM lockwork,, and "fix" it,, with a nice new safety transfer bar. The action will feel bad compared to an original lockwork,,, and USUALLY they send you back the OM parts in case you want to re-convert it. They WILL do this,, even if unasked as a "liability" issue.
A pleasant talk with rugerguy can lead to turning that gun into a very nice looking,, correct piece.