Newbe ammo question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

customf1

Bearcat
I need to save money on ammo I shoot 38 SP, 9mm and 357. There is a local range and gun shop nearby. Can I order quantity from somewhere on the internet and get a quantity discounts? Can this ammo be shipped to the gun store, is their additional cost in doing this? I do not think I can have ammo shipped through the mail directly to me? My wallet is feeling it big time from purchasing boxes of 50 round 9mm ammo for 10.50 a box from walmart I am also buying 38 SP boxes of 100 for 30.00 a box from walmart. Any help is appreciated. PS. I will be going to a reloading seminar soon but I am not sure yet if I'm going that route.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
First off, yes, you can have ammo delivered to your house. I believe that since it is an ORM-D shipment it must be signed for, so someone has to be home when it arrives.

Second, $10/50 isn't that bad a price, actually.

It has been my experience that, for ammo worth shooting, mail order can be a real bust unless you get a really good deal, or buy in huge quantities. If you're paying $10/50 you might see $5/50 online, but by the time shipping is added in it is awfully close to that $10/50. (Hint: It can be easier to figure out the price per round, then reduce all the prices you see to price per round for easier comparison. At $10/50 just divide 10 by 50 and you'll see you're paying .20 (twenty cents) per round.)

I just checked Cheaper Than Dirt (which isn't), and most of their 9mm ammo is more than what you're paying, even before you add shipping. They did have Tula ammo in a 900 round package that worked out to .17+ per round, but that's before shipping, and is pretty craptastic ammo from what I've heard.

You might be able to do slightly better, but to what end? To save $10 over what you can get locally? Also, I personally don't like making the big outlay that some large ammo orders require.

Now reloading. There you can save some money.

-- Sam

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I always check Midway for prices. They are probably the largest Internet firearms site. http://www.midwayusa.com/ BTW those prices are very good for today. Prices really have gone up in the last couple of years for various reasons from metal prices to popular demand. Even re-loading supplies have gone up. But re-loading will still save you about 50% over factory ammo. Unfortunately re-loading the 9mm and 38 special will save you the least of any cartridge out there.

You might look for specials at Gander Mountain or Cabela's as well as K-mart. Get on some mailing lists or email lists by ordering some stuff online. After that you will be bombarded with adds. :shock: :shock:

...Jimbo

contender

Ruger Guru
I have no real experience in ordering quantities of factory ammo as I reload. If I were you,, and the cost of ammo is what's driving you,, then by all means,, look into reloading. While the initial investment will be a bit stiff,, over time,, you will see the cost advantage of reloads vs factory. That savings will happen according to how much you shoot. If you shoot 500 rounds a year vs 5000 rounds a year,, it'll pay off quicker at the 5000 round level.
However,, many of us are able to shoot more often due to reloading.
Example;
Powder; approximately $22-$25 per lb. Pistol powders will load around 600-1000 (or more) per lb.
Primers are approximately $3.50 per hundred,, or $35 per thousand.
Bullets can be as low as .03 cents each to as much as .25 cents each depending. I use a lot of 45 ACP plated bullets at $130 per thousand.
So,, my cost per 1000 rounds is usually around $180 or less. 9mm or 38 spl will be less than that. (The bullets cost less,, and I also cast a lot of bullets.) At approximately $300 per 1000 of wally world ammo,, you can see the savings.
So,, seriously consider reloading.