New Vaqureo 45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1blkhwk

Bearcat
Fun one to shoot. The lighter frame is easier to handle. Really no recoil to speak of either. I just need to load more 45 !

Dirknar

Bearcat
fun to shoot. thats for sure.. I wish'd I'd never sold mine, it was the same as yours. get a melting pot and some cheap lee dies and make some boolits if you dont already. Oh and I had great luck with no leading after reaming the throats of the cylinder.. It was a huge + on mine.

1blkhwk

Bearcat
Sounds like some good advice thanks!

I haven't done the casting bit yet.

Where ya from in Wa. ? I grew up in the Vancouver/ Hazel Dell area.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a pair of the NV's in 45 Colt, stainless, 5-1/2" bbls. They are sweet. I made some grips for them to help how they felt in my hands!
Cast bullets,, and a 45 are a great match!

maxpress

Buckeye
hey contender. do you know if any difinitive info has come out as to if the nv will handle corbon +p or how fast we can get a 250gr boolit going before it starts to ruin the gun. dont want a steady diet of these things maybe 25 just for woods walking and to test it.

dont mean to be a thread stealer

1blkhwk

Bearcat
Actually I appericiate the question. I'm running my reloads in this one and I "think" they are running around 900 fps.

So far its a very fun gun to shoot. I even got a holster with it a COWS next I need a horse and I'm ready to move back west.

:lol:

contender

Ruger Guru
With the smaller frame size,, I strongly recommend you NOT try any +P type of loads in a NEW Vaquero. They were built smaller & lighter for the SASS crowd,, and to handle "normal" 45 Colt loads.
I easily solved any problem of heavy 45 loads,,, I use a Blackhawk. (Actually I had a few Blackhawks before I got any Vaquero's.)
The NV's may handle 1-2 shots just fine,, and there are folks who'll say you can do it,, but I just prefer to not push the limits,, and run a risk of damage to a firearm,, or any possible injury to anyone.
Way back in my much younger (and dumber) days,, I loaded some 38 spl cases with heavy charges knowing they were well within the safe limits of my Blackhawy 357. Well, a few of us went to the creekbed to shoot,, and a buddy of mine was shooting my Blackhawk. I was playing with a S&W mod 27. I had my back to him,, and he commented about needing some ammo,,, and I motioned to a few boxes I had laid out. (INcluding the hot ones.) Next thing I saw knew was I heard a louder than normal kaboom a few times and turned around to see what was going on. He had his snubby S&W 38 spl in his hand,, and was using my HOT loads. 6 rounds ruined that S&W that day. We were lucky it didn't blow the cylinder apart but it stretched the frame leaving a gap between the side plate & main frame of almost 1/8". It welded 4 pieces of brass to the sides of the cylinder walls.
I have kept all my loads in proper brass & within the safe levels since.

maxpress

Buckeye
okie dokie, thats kinda what i thought but i wasnt for sure. i figured they might be a little stronger than a colt.

i dont even know why i would want to since i have a ov in .44.

you are a wealth of information contender and i enjoy your posts.

maxpress

Buckeye
1blkhwk":ua6axg8l said:
Actually I appericiate the question. I'm running my reloads in this one and I "think" they are running around 900 fps.

So far its a very fun gun to shoot. I even got a holster with it a COWS next I need a horse and I'm ready to move back west.

:lol:

huh, im as west as you can go in the lower 48 and im thinking of coming out your way with recent events.

nice setup you got there.