New Vaquero in .44 spl.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike in SC

Bearcat
After shooting my Lipsey's .44 I would LOVE to have a New Vaquero in the same round. Anyone hear any rumblings about Ruger bring one out, even limited release? Have to be a whole lot cheaper then doing a custom build.

TIA for any info.

gak

Buckeye
No, but it's as much a no brainer as exists for Ruger, along with regular production of the .44 Sp (Lipseys) BH -- on essentially the same frame. Check out the Gunblast article last year - .about the 44 Special NV conversion by Ben Forkin.

Mike in SC

Bearcat
I did read the article and emailed Ben but got no response. If I build one I would have David Clements do the work. Ruger would be cheapest of all then you can customize from there. I believe that limited or regular production is only a matter of time. It's all in the waiting.

gak

Buckeye
Bearcat, I couldn't agree more...and my budget says Ruger. I've got a top tunesmith that can take it from there as necessary, but am also hearing some good things out of the box. Even so, my .357 NV needed a little bit of timing/action work "just because," though far less than my .44 Mag V did--both now just-so. There are several NV variants Ruger could/should have waiting in the wings, not "even" considering the bad economy, but "because," IMO. With things in a slump all over, now's the time to stir the industry/market pot with new product.

Among these possible projects, this .44 NV, perhaps also in combo with a .44-40 convertible if clearances allow. Also along those lines, a .38-40/.40 S&W, .32-20/.327, .357/9mm, .45LC/.45ACP. The latter two should permit cylinders-only sale as well for the zillions of .357s and .45s out there now. Yes, everyone knows they'd need individual fitting...and any good smith would be happy to oblige. However, if the factory insisted only it "would" permit as a condition of initial sale, Ruger could do that for a nominal fee along with the cylinder purchase--for those willing to part with their NV for a few (?) weeks.

To me all this--but especially the .44 for a start--makes good business sense, to create/maintain market interest in the middle of these otherwise rough times...and create some great firearms in the process. That NV (and now 50th Ann BH) frame has just been waiting there to bust out and show its other potential.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I for one feel I waited way too long for my two 44 Spl Flat Top Blackhawks. And I don't want to pay custom prices for a New Vaquero converted to 44.
My 2nd Lipseys 44 is going to get it's cylinder swapped with my New Vaquero 45. I have a hunk of 44 barrel cut from a 7 1/2" Old Model Vaquero (to make a 3" belly gun) that I'll install in the NV and have a handy 4 1/2" 44 Spl NV.
I'll install my spare 4 5/8" 45 Blackhawk barrel in the Lipsey 44 Flat top and have a 45 Flat top mate to my 1st Lipsey 44 Flat top. I'll keep the original 44 Flat Top and NV 45 barrels so I can always swap back should Ruger ever get on the ball.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I think the new Ruger company may have something against the 44 special. Maybe it's not "Hard R" enough for them? They should have made a 44 special New Vaquero years ago when the New Vaquero first came out, just for the Cowboy shooters, at the very least. :shock:

..Jimbo

BlkHawk73

Hunter
For what you get with a rechambering, I'd go that route. The end result will be better than a stock factory one so long as you use a GOOD 'smith.

Base Pin Maker

Single-Sixer
Ben Forkin did one up for me, the one written up in Gunblast.com. His E-mail is hit and miss, try calling him at 406-547-2344. Leave a message, and he will call back. Thanks, Kelye @ Belt Mtn

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
Has Ruger made a commitment to continuing to produce new guns on the medium frames?

Does anyone have any inside info as to whether the .357 Mag Blackhawk or .44 Spl Blackhawk will ever be in regular production on the medium frame?

I would think that before adding a new gun to the New Vaquero line, they would make permanent the production of guns that have already been temporarily offered.

-Stephen

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Base Pin Maker":zff33uae said:
Ben Forkin did one up for me, the one written up in Gunblast.com. His E-mail is hit and miss, try calling him at 406-547-2344. Leave a message, and he will call back. Thanks, Kelye @ Belt Mtn

Keyle,

Thanks for the reference. That's certainly one nice Vaquero Ben made up for you! I like the very tasteful remarking of the caliber and his name on the barrel. Did he start with a 357 Vaquero then rebore and rechamber?

I have to say, I'm not dissappointed with the Ruger quality on my Lipsey 44s or my Ruger New Vaqeuro. The chambers are all very uniform and the chamber mouths are just right when I mic them. Gunblast also had a very comprehensive comparison article and chart by Bill Hamm of all the different Ruger grip frame changes!

Thank again,

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Jimbo357mag":usdfmjy0 said:
I think the new Ruger company may have something against the 44 special. Maybe it's not "Hard R" enough for them? They should have made a 44 special New Vaquero years ago when the New Vaquero first came out, just for the Cowboy shooters, at the very least. :shock:

..Jimbo

Jimbo,

If you held a gun to my head for a reason, I'd have to say, they do not see the market for 44 Special guns even though there's plenty of us around, I don't think we compare in numbers to the run of the mill 45 and 38 shooters. Look at the Cowboy Action shooters for example; there must be ten 45 or 38 shooters out there for every one of me that shoots 44. They all want the ease of shooting the same ammo in their handguns as they do in their rifles.

My other guess in a word is; liability. Ruger has 'deep pockets' and is constantly targeted with stupid litigation which costs them a fortune each year. Everyone knows the 44 Special is a favorite for "hotrodding" and there's plenty of fools out there who will over do it and then sue Ruger when they hurt themselves. So Ruger is gunshy (pun intended).

In fact if you observe one of the Lipsey 44 flat top frame top straps, it's made extra thick. When compared to my original 44 Magnum flat top it's thicker!! My Lipsey 44 weighs the same as my 357 Old Model even though the 357 has much smaller holes and has a steel grip frame and ejector rod housing installed!!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
gak":22msh3cg said:
....Among these possible projects, this .44 NV, perhaps also in combo with a .44-40 convertible if clearances allow. Also along those lines, a .38-40/.40 S&W, .32-20/.327, .357/9mm, .45LC/.45ACP. The latter two should permit cylinders-only sale as well for the zillions of .357s and .45s out there now. Yes, everyone knows they'd need individual fitting...and any good smith would be happy to oblige. However, if the factory insisted only it "would" permit as a condition of initial sale, Ruger could do that for a nominal fee along with the cylinder purchase--for those willing to part with their NV for a few (?) weeks....
That NV (and now 50th Ann BH) frame has just been waiting there to bust out and show its other potential.

I couldn't agree more with you and Mike in SC, those would be some nice combination guns!

However I think the only possibility of making it happen is with distributer exclusive models thru Lipsey, Davidson's, etc. And to make that happen, we need to be banging on their doors for what we want, not on Ruger's door.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Hondo44":3glqrfed said:
Everyone knows the 44 Special is a favorite for "hotrodding" and there's plenty of fools out there who will over do it and then sue Ruger when they hurt themselves.
There is no basis for that theory, none whatsoever. Fact is, there is NO .44Spl data floating around that would hurt a New Vaquero .44Spl. For this is the strength class of sixgun the heavy Keith load was designed for. Conversely, there IS a plethora of "Ruger only" loading data that will destroy a New Vaquero .45Colt and apparently, that had no bearing on Ruger making it a regular catalog item.

Life is short, if you want a New Vaquero .44Spl, have one built. Yes, it would be nice to have Ruger produce one but a custom gun will be so much better, you won't even notice when they do.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
CraigC":fjzv9tb7 said:
Hondo44":fjzv9tb7 said:
Everyone knows the 44 Special is a favorite for "hotrodding" and there's plenty of fools out there who will over do it and then sue Ruger when they hurt themselves.
There is no basis for that theory, none whatsoever. Fact is, there is NO .44Spl data floating around that would hurt a New Vaquero .44Spl. For this is the strength class of sixgun the heavy Keith load was designed for. Conversely, there IS a plethora of "Ruger only" loading data that will destroy a New Vaquero .45Colt and apparently, that had no bearing on Ruger making it a regular catalog item.

Life is short, if you want a New Vaquero .44Spl, have one built. Yes, it would be nice to have Ruger produce one but a custom gun will be so much better, you won't even notice when they do.
All Vaqueros are New Models!

That wasn't my theory. My theory was first. That was my guess but I didn't say it would hurt the Vaquero. So what do you think of my theory and what's yours?
Sure custom guns ARE nice but anybody can buy one!
And what do you call the 'old' Vaquero? Or an old model Blackhawk?

Rclark

Hunter
And what do you call the 'old' Vaquero?
Hondo44. Just call it Vaquero or old Vaquero.... Just not 'Old Model' Vaquero which implies a Vaquero with the Old Model (three screw) internals . Keeps everyone happy.... All Vaqueros and New Vaqueros have the 'New Model' internals.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
While it is not a ruger, USFA is always an option for a quality SAA revolver in 44 special. Yes, more expensive than a New Vaquero, but not quite the expense of a conversion on the New Vaquero.

something else to think about

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Rclark":3b1q7iv0 said:
And what do you call the 'old' Vaquero?
Hondo44. Just call it Vaquero or old Vaquero.... Just not 'Old Model' Vaquero which implies a Vaquero with the Old Model (three screw) internals . Keeps everyone happy.... All Vaqueros and New Vaqueros have the 'New Model' internals.

Rclark,
Thank you, yes I know. You're absolutely correct of course. But I don't mind helping those who need to feel imporatnt, to feel important. I joined the RCA 30 years ago this year and I can tell you, those that like to critize are very few and far between in the collector fratenity. I appreciate your comments.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
c.r.":kj1pqkrj said:
While it is not a ruger, USFA is always an option for a quality SAA revolver in 44 special. Yes, more expensive than a New Vaquero, but not quite the expense of a conversion on the New Vaquero.

something else to think about

Oh I agree, I have three in 44 spl. I know, it's a sickness, what can I say.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
Hondo44":1o5qlc5x said:

I think that makes you a rather well rounded person. :lol:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
c.r.":2ie529pq said:
Hondo44":2ie529pq said:

I think that makes you a rather well rounded person. :lol:

What configuration? Mine are all smokeless frame pre wars, 4 3/4". One is marked 44 Special w/a convertible 44-40 cylinder. A consecutive 3'd pair dual marked Russian and S&W Special 44. I've been real tempted to order a Ftattop Target. Then I've got an early 4 3/4" black powder in 45 made back when they used Uberti imported parts.

Latest posts