New Vaquero "Fixes" Do They Make This A Must Have?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

4MUL8R

Single-Sixer
I have for a while been studying on the Blackhawk / Super Blackhawk models, thinking that I should find one at a local store or show real soon. Then, I read an article by Jeff Quinn on the New Vaquero. His description of the improvements to the revolver make me wonder if the New Vaquero is the right revolver to have. Retracting cylinder hand, cylinder index button, ejector button shape, hammer shape, XR3 grip, slimmer grip, smaller and lighter, tough construction. What's not to love?

I guess the only thing that bothers me is the sights. Not adjustable, not partridge style, but does that really matter? I am looking for a big bore hunting revolver for 40 yards and in shots on stationary deer.

Thanks to one and all for advice. The show is Saturday so hopefully a few responses will guide me.

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
The New Vaq is fine for small calibers like the 32 and 357. However the new vaq is just that, a smaller gun. I have 4 (large) vaqueros in 44 mag. If I were to get a 45, for light mouse phart loads, the new vaq would also be fine. But if you want a six gun for full power loads available for 45 lc. you need either a blackhawk or super blackhawk.

jmho, which with a doller will get you a cup a coffee at mcdonalds.

gak

Buckeye
Sounds like one of the new flattops--.357 50th Anniversary or .44 Special--may be more up your alley in terms of the same "mid" frame as New Vaquero,...just a different sight configuration. The New Vaquero is simply a rounded version of these other mid-frame guns. The flattops also incorporate the same other "improvements" you note for the New Vaquero. As many here have noted, the 50th Anniversary .357 is one of the--if not THE--best deals on the market right now.

Re-reading your interest in "big bore," the .44 Special should be able to handle fairly healthy loads in terms of experimentation-- relatively speaking there's a bit more cylinder beef (margin) vs the .45 in the same frame. However, those more expert here will likely still caution you regarding super heated up loads. With your hunting focus, you also might look at the 50th Anniversary .44 Mag, which shares the new, smaller XR3 gripframe, but mates that to the "regular" (large) NM Blackhawk frame the .44M has been using for years. I believe--but may be corrected here--that it too has incorporated at least some of the other newer features you mention.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
I like the sights on my NewVaq357 just fine.

4258670610_57f5801536_b.jpg

Way funky, yeah, but this is by far, out of control the best handgun sight I've ever used, period, end of discussion. It's a home-brew functional replica of a Goshen Enterprises Hexsite...which is absolutely the real deal.

http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/index2.htm

EDK

Single-Sixer
4MUL8R":w2m5qcnc said:
Man, this is so helpful! 50th anniversary 44 mag -- what a cool idea. I'll see what I can find this weekend.

Check out gunbroker and auctionarms. There are some there at varying price levels. I follow the auctions daily. (The "optimists" who start a gun at $200 more than the other sellers are a lot of amusement...especially when they re-list it a couple times because they can't find a sucker!)

There are a lot of bargains out there....and some really nice rare/old guns showing up. Do some serious looking and keep some notes.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Don't forget CDNN (cdnninvestments.com). You have to call them for handgun prices, but last I heard they were selling the 50th .44s for under $400.

Also, don't discount the .44 Special flattop. While it doesn't pack the punch of the .44 mag, it's plenty for deer, and is built on the smaller frame of the .357 guns, so makes a more packable package.

-- Sam

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
If I were to get a 45, for light mouse phart loads, the new vaq would also be fine. But if you want a six gun for full power loads available for 45 lc. you need either a blackhawk or super blackhawk.

It all depends on your definition of 'light mouse phart loads'. The New Vaquero is fully capable of digesting standard SAAMI spec 45 Colt loads, 250 grain bullets around 800 fps. Where I come from, that is not a mouse fart load. A mouse fart is a 45 Colt loaded down to light 38 Sp power. If on the other hand you want to approach 44 Mag power, you are correct, the New Vaquero is not the gun for you. But 250 grains at 800 fps is nothing to sneeze at.

saction

Bearcat
Driftwood... Neither is a 250gr lead pill at 1000 fps which the new vaq is fully capable of....

4MUL8R

Single-Sixer
Thanks for tip on CDNN. I'll be at the show today, searching for the right item. Hopefully there will be someone wandering around with a Freedom Arms Model 83 who needs $500 really bad. If not, I'll see if I can find a 50th 44 and compare it to the SBH 44. Alternates will be 45 C then 41 M.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
The New Vaquero was produced to fill one niche. It was made for Cowboy Action Shooters (CAS). It is patterned after the Colt SAA and it's clones.

The old model Vaquero we a fine gun for CAS, but a little too large. And before some get up in the air about old vs. new. why call the next Vaquero New if the wasn't an old first???

Enough with the symatics. It is a great little cowboy gun. As to the restrictions. The only one I know of is for the larger calibers. It is not a heavy weight black Hawk and shouldn't be used to fire heavy loaded magnums. It was meant for cowboy loads!

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
We don't mind "Old Vaquero". But "Old MODEL Vaquero" is completely wrong because in Ruger-speak, "old model" means prior to 1973.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
OK look we are talking about Vaqueros and they are a model of gun made by Ruger. So we have a new model of Vaquero and an old model of Vaquero. And BTW, they didn't make Vaqueros in 1973 or before.

GhosT

Blackhawk
4MUL8R's original post makes total sense.

"I guess the only thing that bothers me is the sights. Not adjustable, not partridge style, but does that really matter?"

Yeah,it really does.
If yer starting with yer first Ruger single action ,go with adjustable sights!

Learning to hand load rounds to point of aim on fixed sites,not the best way to start.

Of course,JMHO.

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
GhosT":1evvramd said:
If yer starting with yer first Ruger single action ,go with adjustable sights

+1 on that.
I first got interested in Ruger single actions because of the New Vaquero, but pretty quickly got the impression that I might do well to make my first SA one with adjustible sights.
I called CDNN and got a .357 Anniversary gun and just couldn't have been happier. It has all the improvements mentioned by the OP and it comes in what I think is the most versatile chambering for a relative newbie like me.

Stephen

4MUL8R

Single-Sixer
Show update -- no used stainless big bore Rugers were seen. Lots of blue steel. Did see a 50th 44 magnum, and understand how this fits a sweet spot. With my big hand, the XR3 is not for me. Handled a couple of so-called Ruger Custom Shop examples at one table. Hard to believe Ruger would cut down a barrel from 7.5 to 4.625 right through the warning label, rather than just install a new one. Two of them had red sight inserts like a S&W double action revolver, which really helped. Obviously I didn't purchase any revolver. Had a great time looking, and will keep on the prowl for a stainless SBH.

Dale53

Blackhawk
GhostT;
I have to agree with Ghost on this one. I cast my own bullets and reload (everyone really should unless you have VERY deep pockets) so caliber choice is wide open for me.

I would suggest either the 50th Anniversay .357 magnum (they can be had, new, for under $400.00 at CDNN) or my preference is the .44 Lipsey Special. Ruger is now running them in both blue and stainless and in plow handle and Bisley configuration. I am a fan of the .44 Special, so admit to bias. Another fine choice is the SS Bisley 5½" convertible .45 Colt/.45 ACP. I got one of them last fall and am quite taken with the possibilities of this combination.

All three of those have good adjustable sights and all should do you proud.

Dale53

"And BTW, they didn't make Vaqueros in 1973 or before."

Exactly. That's why there are no "old model Vaqueros". ;)

We're a picky bunch, and we admit it. Actually, what rubs us the wrong way is the term "Old Model Vaquero" with the upper-case "O" and "M". If that ain't picky, I don't know what is, but it's just one of the picayune little oddities that Rugerphiles display when discussing our collective obsession.

There have been some posts here on this very subject that were "heated" to say the least

You can usually get away with "original Vaquero" or "large frame Vaquero" without too much grief from the peanut gallery. Personally, I kinda like those references. The absolutely correct nomenclature for those older versions would be "Vaquero" with the later, smaller ones referred to as "New Vaquero" which is how they are roll-marked on their frames, respectively.

Of course we all know what we all mean, but sometimes new folks need a little education. Besides, never let a good "discussion" go to waste.

Totally JMHO you understand.

YMMV

:)

Edited because I can't spell.

Latest posts