New Vaquero Finish- Color Case vs Stainless?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gearhead Jim

Bearcat
I've been wanting a New Vaquero in .357 since the gun came out, and have been kicking myself lately for not buying one while they had the fake color case finish. Finding a good used one with the shorter barrel may not be easy.

The fake color case finish has a reputation for non-durability, but I think it looks authentic and pretty on a SA gun, especially if i get wood grips. Any predictions on how it would hold up on an occasional plinker?

The current all-over blueing looks very good quality, but also makes the gun look like just another revolver. Might as well be a S&W Model 19.

The bright stainless finish would be almost rustproof and looks similar to nickel plating, but to me it's just too flashy and probably scratches easily. Dulling it slightly like the S&W revolvers would again just give it that "ordinary gun" look.

Supposedly, one of the Colt clones is available in a stainless finish that has been acid-rubbed or something, so it looks like an old blued gun with the finish rubbed/rusted away. Has anybody seen one, and would it be practical on a SS NV?

Suggestions & comments?

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I got this one in 2003. I don't shoot it often but I do carry it form time to time.

PA310002.jpg

street

Hunter
Here are some that I have had for sometime. I have heard that they will rust just setting, but I have not found this to be true.

Single-sixes. Consecutive pair

381369255.jpg

.45 Cal BNV-44-I, Consecutive pair'

381370986.jpg

.32 Mag. SSM-4F-S-I, Consecutive pair.

381370510.jpg

.44 Mag. Engraved, BNV-474-IE, Consecutive Pair.

381370373.jpg

gak

Buckeye
I'm one of the ones also who have not found it to be a problem on various large Vaqueros, single six 32s and New Vaqueros. Then again, I don't live in the rust belt. +1 I actually don't find the look objectionable as many do--as the one gent says, set them apart. I've heard--but not verified personally--that ther Rugers are harder to antique to desired effect (at least as a DIY) due to the fact that underneath the blue "in the white" stripped is brighter metal than others. I have a Cimarron that's antiqued (by Cim, not the Uberti factory job) and a DIY/fave local smith done Rodeo---both great.