New Vaquero 45 load ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

I just bought a Vaquero in 45lc (4-5/8") and would like some light, slow, (but accurate) load recommendations for it.
I was thinking of the Speer 4684 bullets (if I can find any) ahead of some Bluedot which I already have for the 44 SBH

Ideas?

Thanks

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
Greg, If you look nearby here you will find a post titled "45 Colt + HS6 mid level load data." There's some interesting stuff in there. Sorry I don't have the bullet or powder that you mentioned but there are many other choices. I wrote in that post that I used Trail Boss for the first time and found it exceptionally good. I used 5.8 gr with a 255 gr LSWC and it was a nice clean shooting mid-range load. Another gentleman commented he used 6.0 gr which would be great IMO. I think about 700 fps. or so. Incidentally, I was also very surprised at how nicely Trail Boss went through my RCBS measure. It's darn near perfect. Good luck with your new .45! Gerry.

dougader

Hunter
Do you mean the Speer 4683 bullet (250 grain swaged lswc)?

In my experience light loads with Blue Dot result in bunches of unburned powder. But, the Speer 14 manual lists 11.9 - 12.9 grains Blue Dot with their 250 gr swaged lead bullet, #4683 per the manual.

I prefer Universal or WW231 with 14k psi loads for 45 Colt.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
7.3 grains of Universal under a 250/255 gr LRNFP/LSWC bullet has been a reliably accurate round for me. I usually use CC-350 MLP primers to help light it off. Very easy shooting.

A

Anonymous

dougader":3k30p9pl said:
Do you mean the Speer 4683 bullet (250 grain swaged lswc)?

In my experience light loads with Blue Dot result in bunches of unburned powder. But, the Speer 14 manual lists 11.9 - 12.9 grains Blue Dot with their 250 gr swaged lead bullet, #4683 per the manual.

I prefer Universal or WW231 with 14k psi loads for 45 Colt.

It's probably close but no it's the 4684
http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics ... spx?id=232

I found some suggestions here
http://handloads.org/loaddata/default.a ... er&Source=

so if I can find the bullets maybe I'll try a few and see. I sure like the loads for the 44 with Bluedot. It would be handy to be able to use that powder for both. The loads for the 44 are quite docile. No big flames and big explosions. :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone
Keep them coming!

Just about any 250/260 cast boolit and 4.5 Red Dot is a prety good load.
My wife shoots this load in a Uberti Thunderer with 3.5 in barrel, off hand in CAS matches.

dougader

Hunter
I think that is the same bullet. Somewhere it looks as though Speer has made a typo. I have found several typos in the Speer manual. Maybe I can get them to pay me to review Speer 15 before it goes to the publisher... :wink:

I use Blue Dot in 44 magnum. A nice load is 15 grains BD under a 240 grain hardcast SWC. Lyman lists 16 grains as MAX and I don't find that too taxing in a 4" S&W 629.

But you really don't want to load heavy stuff up in the New Vaquero. Save that for the Blackhawks/Bisleys.

You can go ahead and try the BD and see how you like it. But with soft lead you don't want to load much over 950-1000 fps anyway or you'll get leading like crazy.

Latest posts