new vaquero .357 to .44spl

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
Max,
I had Clement Custom Guns do mine a couple of years ago.
I couldn't be more pleased with the work.
http://www.clementscustomguns.com/

CCG44SPL-vi.jpg

Jack

Dale53

Blackhawk
I"m sure happy with my .44 Lipsey Special. It cost me less than $400.00 and I probably wouldn't sell it for twice as much.

Strong rumor suggests that Ruger is adding the .44 Special mid frame single action revolver to the line up next year. If the next ones are as good as mine, they are a FIND indeed!

Dale53

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
maxpress":10z41hsn said:
very much appreciated jack. do you hapopen to remember the cal conv price.

i see you had some other work as well, beutiful gun.

The work included a new custom barrel turned and fitted, rechambering from .357 to .44 Spl, custom front and rear sights made and mounted.

The workmanship is absolutely first class and the gun was delivered on shedule. It was a long wait as David Clements is a very busy man.
I don't remember the price but recall that it took me about a year to save up for it. A custom gun like mine is not about price, it is about getting a gun made just exactly how you wanted it.

Jack

gak

Buckeye
Also
Hamilton Bowen
Alan Harton
Gary Reeder
__?__Gallagher
Ben Forkin (go to www.gunblast.com and archives search Forkin (2008?) for a great article on his New Vaquero 44 conversion.

The work you generally will be inquiring about with any of these is roughly the same as that for converting any Ruger mid-frame (the Lipseys 44, 50th Ann .357 and New Vaquero are all basically the same frame, which is, in turn, very close to the same size as the Old Model/original Blackhawk, though that had different internals)

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
Dale53":15kyyzuo said:
I"m sure happy with my .44 Lipsey Special. It cost me less than $400.00 and I probably wouldn't sell it for twice as much.

Strong rumor suggests that Ruger is adding the .44 Special mid frame single action revolver to the line up next year. If the next ones are as good as mine, they are a FIND indeed!

Dale53

Wish my Lipsey cost less than $400! But the extra $100 won't matter one little bit after years and years of that fine revolver on my hip.

batmann

Single-Sixer
The Blackhawk 'Flattop' .44 Spl is in the 2010 Ruger catalog. I think I could probably buy two of these for the price of a conversion. My Lipsey's .44 Spl 'Flattop' has become my favorite revolver, just the right size and a terrific shooter. NOW IF they would only make it in stainless.

gak

Buckeye
M'BOGO":2iei6zqc said:
I love the look of the rounded topstrap, with the luxury of adjustable sights. Best of both worlds.
I agree. Unfortunately, I also like the "cowboy" front sight too. What to do?

M'BOGO

Buckeye
gak":3kn2m17u said:
M'BOGO":3kn2m17u said:
I love the look of the rounded topstrap, with the luxury of adjustable sights. Best of both worlds.
I agree. Unfortunately, I also like the "cowboy" front sight too. What to do?

I like Elmers with the banded front sight.

maxpress

Buckeye
well, i keep coming up with around 700 for the conversion. might just get a lipsey and order a .45 acp cylinder for my vaquero for about the same price. and put this on the back burner for awhile.
thanks to all for the info and photos though.

gak

Buckeye
maxpress":1d8mdjzd said:
well, i keep coming up with around 700 for the conversion. might just get a lipsey and order a .45 acp cylinder for my vaquero for about the same price. and put this on the back burner for awhile.
thanks to all for the info and photos though.

We can always hope that Ruger will come around as a regular NV production item as a mid-year 2010 addition or 2011 (so give them the message buying up those flattops!)...so your strategy will also buy you time til then! OR, it'ed be interesting to see if Ruger will do a Lipseys or Davidsons like with the flattop, to test the waters and step their way into it that way.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
There is the tell the CEO tab on the Ruger website. The .44 spc Vaq was on my list last year, along with the flattop, that was before I found out about the Lipseys.

gak

Buckeye
I've done just that (CE0) for the New Vaquero .44--so it will now happen of course!

M'BOGO

Buckeye
gak":340cy6p4 said:
I've done just that (CE0) for the New Vaquero .44--so it will now happen of course!

We can hope. The Lipseys run was supposed to be of 2000, but by the serial #'s it is closer to 3000 now. Hopefully there will be some corperate response. Reasistically, tooling doesn't appear overnight, once a demand is recognized.