New Toy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

altajava

Bearcat
I brought this home from my favorite LGS today, I don't recall seeing this in the Ruger catalog. Is this a distributor special?
supposed to be a picture of a
Super BlackHawk 4 5/8" .44 Mag, blued, stainless(?)trigger, white grips

the scribble on the lable wasn't me
pic finally fingered out

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Looks like it came with the wrong box - probably why the serial number is scribbled out. The box label confirms the box corresponds to a different model. The RBNV-475, model 0589, should be a Bisley original Vaquero blued/color case hardened with 5.5" barrel with rosewood grips. The scribbled serial number has a "058-" prefix, which isn't a Super Blackhawk Serial Number either - it's an original large frame Vaquero serial number.

It should have a "8X-XXXXX" serial number, and I'd assume that it's model designation would include some part of "S458," since that would reflect a blued Super Blackhawk with 4 5/8" barrel, but I'm not sure what the model modifier would be for ivory grips. The 0813 model of the same revolver, but with rosewood grips, is S458n.

So it could be a limited model, or it could be a standard 0813 that has had its grips updated with Ruger Factory Aftermarket grip panels. I'm sure someone will come along with better info for the actual model designation and number.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Been a regular production model for at least 20yrs. Both blued and stainless are in stock at Davidson's.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Craig - so are you saying that there has never been a model run for ivory gripped 4 5/8" blued SBH's? Meaning those MUST be an aftermarket addition? There's nothing unique or special about a 4 5/8" blued SBH with rosewood grips model 0813 S458n-c (the model that's been around for at least 20yrs) or the 0814 KS458n-C stainless version, but if this revolver left the factory with those ivory grips, it's not that model. It's reasonable to expect they were an aftermarket addition, but it wouldn't necessarily rule out factory ship if such a model existed.

I can definitely be sure that it's not the right box for that revolver - that box end label reflects an original Vaquero. Whether it was mixed up at the factory or at the shop, who knows. Kinda interesting - an 87-73xxx SBH should have shipped in 1995, whereas a Vaquero with 58-0xxxx should have shipped in 2002 - so did the shop sit on old new stock for 7yrs, did it get hung up at the factory, did it ship out of order, or did they cross paths at another shop where an '02 Vaq was in the used rack beside a '95 SBH?

Did you get the owner's manual with it? Is it the right manual? Usually those are stuffed in the top of the box, so if they criss-crossed boxes, you'd think they'd have criss-corssed manuals too.

altajava

Bearcat
The gun is a '95, the manual covers all models and calibers, blued and stainless. The handout with Ruger paraphernalia in it is dated '97-are any of those part numbers still good? Even has the little brass lock with the eagle on one side, I assume to lock the plastic box with.

reloader

Single-Sixer
That is a great looking and handy size gun. The kind that makes you think...If I could only have "one" this may be it.

eveled

Hawkeye
reloader said:
That is a great looking and handy size gun. The kind that makes you think...If I could only have "one" this may be it.

I agree, nice handy size, and all you'd ever need.

street

Hunter
Varminterror said:
Craig - so are you saying that there has never been a model run for ivory gripped 4 5/8" blued SBH's? Meaning those MUST be an aftermarket addition? There's nothing unique or special about a 4 5/8" blued SBH with rosewood grips model 0813 S458n-c (the model that's been around for at least 20yrs) or the 0814 KS458n-C stainless version, but if this revolver left the factory with those ivory grips, it's not that model. It's reasonable to expect they were an aftermarket addition, but it wouldn't necessarily rule out factory ship if such a model existed.

I can definitely be sure that it's not the right box for that revolver - that box end label reflects an original Vaquero. Whether it was mixed up at the factory or at the shop, who knows. Kinda interesting - an 87-73xxx SBH should have shipped in 1995, whereas a Vaquero with 58-0xxxx should have shipped in 2002 - so did the shop sit on old new stock for 7yrs, did it get hung up at the factory, did it ship out of order, or did they cross paths at another shop where an '02 Vaq was in the used rack beside a '95 SBH?

Did you get the owner's manual with it? Is it the right manual? Usually those are stuffed in the top of the box, so if they criss-crossed boxes, you'd think they'd have criss-corssed manuals too.

The only way to know if that gun was shipped with those Ivory type grips is to get a letter from Ruger and in the model number or catalog number, I can't remember which is which. It will have an "I" in it. Such as S474NI or S474IN. Not sure if those are the right catalog numbers or not, but you get the idea. It will have an "I" in the number. If it does then I'm sure it will be somewhat rare as I think those grips added somewhere between $75 and $100 to the price of the gun and not too many people were willing to pay that. So it will be somewhat rare.

altajava

Bearcat
It being possibly rare is good news, I guess I need to contact Ruger to be sure.

Wasn't there a link to the form letter for product history on at Ruger.com?

CraigC

Hawkeye
More likely someone bought it and put the grips on it. What does it matter? It's not gonna make it worth a million dollars. Are you going to put it away so it's worth an extra fifty bucks in 20yrs? Sometimes we get a bit carried away with this stuff. Those grips aren't going to survive .44Mag recoil anyway, they're notorious for shattering.

altajava

Bearcat
If these grips are that weak I will put something else on. This is my first Ruger with these white grips. I don't plan on selling any of my guns, ever. I have a trade in mind and have traded a couple, it always helps that one of these guns might have a feature that adds value though.

street

Hunter
altajava said:
If these grips are that weak I will put something else on. This is my first Ruger with these white grips. I don't plan on selling any of my guns, ever. I have a trade in mind and have traded a couple, it always helps that one of these guns might have a feature that adds value though.
Back in the mid 50s to early 60s Ruger offered Walnut for $5.00, Stag for $8.50, and Ivory for$16.50. These all fit the XR3 grip frame. Today the Walnuts are selling for $100 or more, the Stags for $500 or more when you can find them. And the Ivory??? Who knows! It has been forever since I saw a set for sale. I would guess $1000 would be a steal. So any small production set of grips have the potential to be worth a lot more then what you paid for them. Of course they won't be worth a million dollars, but most guns aren't. :roll: :roll: :roll:

As for your Ivory style Ruger grips!!! Down the road when more and more people are collecting the New Models, because it will be next to impossible to find an Old Model Ruger in great shape for sale for any kind of decent price. You Ruger .44 Mag. with those grips should bring a very good price. Especially since so many of them are breaking. :lol: :lol: :lol: Good luck getting a factory letter!

CraigC

Hawkeye
And you really think that cheap ivory polymer is going to follow along like factory stag and real ivory? Not everything that's scarce is valuable.

Latest posts