New Toy! Low Buck Black Rifle!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gmaske

Bearcat
I was looking for a long gun that was cheap, cheap to shoot and fun. I found me a Russian made SKS to play with. I'll be doing a fixer up on it and turn it into a really fun gun. No rails or lights other than a receiver mounted scope that allows use of the iron sight and a new Tapco stock. This was most likely the dirtiest gun of any kind I have ever had the displeasure to clean. It was so crusty that the gas piston was nearly frozen. It took me 5 hours of scrubbing to clean er up! :shock:
Here's a shot of it and my first outings targets at 50 yards. You got to understand that I got a lot of years on these eyes and I'm really rusty at shooting long guns but I think I got a real shooter. I was using surplus ammo that came with the rifle too.
IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Nice. Personally, and having owned both, I'd prefer an SKS to a (semi auto) AK, given the choice.

BTW, my "new" Yugo took about 5 hours of cleaning, too: That's where I learned to loathe Cosmoline.

-- Sam

gmaske

Bearcat
Yosemite Sam":1urhdfxw said:
Nice. Personally, and having owned both, I'd prefer an SKS to a (semi auto) AK, given the choice.

BTW, my "new" Yugo took about 5 hours of cleaning, too: That's where I learned to loathe Cosmoline.

-- Sam
Well mine was neglect and yours was protect but still it was a lot of work either way. I'm pretty pumped. The target on the right was my second atempt and I put more effort in it. Of the ten rounds I've got three and two touching in a small group. I hope that speaks of good things to come! Like I said, I'm really rusty and never did a lot of iron sight shooting anyway. Black on black aiming at black is dang hard to do even at 50 yards. Heck I couldn't even see were I was hitting till I walked up to the targets.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Yeah, I like my little SKS, fun to shoot, but the half-inch trigger pull makes accuracy hard to come by (among other things). I'm planning on adding a Tapco T6 adjustable stock to mine with 20 rnd mag to spruce her up.

If I could only afford the new SR-556...

gmaske

Bearcat
This is just a starting point. Judging by the groupings I see on the second target I'm willing to invest some more money in it. The folding stock will be the first to go (it don't fold anyway) and I don't need that 30 round mag getting in the way. I'm gonna put a Tapco stock on it and pop for one of their 5 and 10 round mags. Then I'll stick a receiver mounted scope on it. Most likely a 2x to 7x. I'll keep the 30 round mag just for show and tell or use it when the hoards invade :shock:

I was reading on a site that tells you how to do a trigger job on it and they said that Wolff makes springs too although I haven't checked that yet.

It meets all my needs. It was pretty cheap. It is cheap to shoot. At this point I think it has accuracy potential and I can wrench on it and make it better. Ya can't hardly get much better than that! :wink:

nnero93

Bearcat
I loved my Yugo SKS. It seemed to work better everytime I shot it. I sold it to a friend for cash to get my GP100. They are really good guns, though I wont say anything about the Chinese ones.

gmaske

Bearcat
Well I went nuts on Ebay this weekend and bought just about everything on my wish list so,,, here we go! It will look like a whole new animal shortly.
Stock, scope, scope mount....Got carried away and bought a spotting scope too. :D

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
You might want to "tighten" that topcover if you mount a scope, (or have a gunsmith do it)... or your groups might shift under recoil........

ciao....

reue...

gmaske

Bearcat
I ordered an oversized cover for that very reason. I'll be doing some very careful fitting to be sure. Any movement at all and I'm just wasting money on a pretty scope.