New toy in the house

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hutchman

Blackhawk
I just got home with my new Hornady Lock-n-Load AP. I have used Dillon products for the past 20 years and decided to sell the blue stuff and buy some red. The Hornady appears to be easier to change calibers on and I now have a need for 357, 44 mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, and 223. The Square Deal B just wouldn't work for all these together.

It should be fun getting it set up and running......

Is there anything to look out for while setting this up and getting started?

mattsbox99

Hunter
They are a monster press and the quick change dies are pretty nice. They are pretty well built machines and getting 1000 free bullets is pretty nice too.

The SDB is a heck of a press, but they only work for one caliber which is a big drawback unless you only load one caliber for competition.

contender

Ruger Guru
mattsbox99, I have 2 Dillon SDB's and I have conversions for 2 more calibers. Changing them around isn't too bad,, but no,, the 223 isn't available for it either. I keep my SDB's all set up for small primers and my 650 (with 3 caliber conversions,) set up for my lge primers.
Then,, I use my 2 RCBS Rock Chuckers for all my rifle loads.
You can't go wrong with the Hornady machine. They are very good also.

SBH4628

Blackhawk
What is the serial # on it,Hornady changed the shell plate design last few years...Now I have to buy a conversion kit just to use the new shell plate :x Please read the instructions about the indexing prawls....YOU WILL BREAK IT Trust me :oops:

the fatman

Single-Sixer
Good for you hutchman I usually get to the instructions after I'm in deep doo-doo. :shock: And congrats on your new press. Many happy reloadings.

revhigh

Hawkeye
You'll love that press ... I have a 20 year old Pro-jector that has over 200,000 rounds through it, and all my friends have the LNL-AP's. I sent it back about a year ago and they completely refurbed it and brought it up to date for FREE.

Hornady makes good stuff, and stands behind it.

REV

hutchman

Blackhawk
It actually became somewhat of a financial decision in the end. I was going to add 3 caliber changes to my SDB, so it was cheaper to use the standard dies I already owned and buy this press and sell the SDB, rather than buying Dillon caliber changeovers. The caliber change process on this press seems easier than on the SDB, but we shall see........

I can't say anything bad about Dillon products though. They are engineered to last and if they break, Dillon fixes them with no questions asked. I think they have a great product with killer customer service!

Latest posts