New to the forum. Quick ? about the SR9 magazine dissconnect

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fadetoblack72

Bearcat
Hi everyone. My name is Jason and I am so glad I found this site. Way to go with the complete tear down/polishing of the SR9!!!
My question is, why remove the mag. disconnect? What does it do and what does removing it accomplish?

Off to the hardware store for polishing supplies. Hope to get rid of this gritty trigger!!!
Thanks,
J

waldo1324

Bearcat
You can tube load it in emergency situations and if you accidently drop the mag u can still fire.
plus its fun to take guns apart

Grendel

Single-Sixer
I use my SR9 for IDPA, and after shooting a stage, we're required to: drop the mag, show chamber clear, release the slide, pull trigger. If the mag disconnect is in, if I wanted to perform these steps, I'd then have to reinsert an empty mag and then pull the trigger, unless I didn't mind jacking up my striker. There is also the risk of accidentally putting a loaded mag into the gun before I pull the trigger. For me, safer for the gun and safer for the people I'm shooting with if I have it removed.

I don't consider the mag disconnect a "safety", but an unnecessary "feature".

-JT

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I took mine out immediately. I don't use 'em. I have read...somewhere...that LEO liked them in case they were struggling with a perp and the perp was getting control of the cop's gun, the cop could drop the mag and the perp couldn't then pull the trigger and shoot the cop. Better to get beat on with a loaded gun than shot with it.
I do know that lots of LEO's are killed by perps, with the cop's gun.

Would help to have confirmation of this by knowing person.
Sonnytoo

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
It was likely added as a "safety point" in various state's ever changing list of what qualifies a "good gun". The gun has to have X number of safeties to be sold in state Y. Glock adds that silly little trigger "safety" for this reason.

Disabling them, you're altering a "safety" aspect of the gun. Only you can decide if which way you want to go. It would be nice if Ruger would make them optional, but they aren't (at this time).

Disconnects have been an issue on Hi Powers for quite some time, too. In that case, the disconnect actually increases the trigger pull somewhat, so there's multiple reasons people want it gone. The debate rages to this day.

Does the Ruger disconnect have any impact on the trigger pull weight?

-- Sam

fadetoblack72

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies!!! I understand it now. I'd like to know if taking it out will decrease the trigger pull as well. Not sure why they have to make the pull so much. Polishing it definitely reduced the grittiness of the trigger but I don't think it helped that much with the pull. None the less, a well spent 4 hours tearing it down and polishing it. If anything I understand the workings of it better now.

jhearne

Buckeye
Welcome BTW fadetoblack72, as said above it's a purely optional thing and everyone has their reasons. The ability to dry fire as required in competition, just not wanting a Mag DC or whatever.

Glad I could help ;), enjoy your SR9 :D

Josh

Latest posts