New to single actions-New Vaquero questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

happyskeeter

Bearcat
Just got my stainless New Vaquero 45LC today. The gun dealer sold me a box of +P Corbons and I just wanted to confirm +P's are safe to shoot in this model.

Also noticed that my trigger finger can get pinched when cycling the action as the trigger resets, (in the area in the frame where the top of the trigger goes into the frame). Any easy fix for this?

Can someone suggest a good place to get a cowboy style holster/belt with cartridge loops for this model. I do not want junk but also do not want to pay an arm and leg. Who has the best value for the buck?

I really wanted a Colt SAA but I think I would be afraid to really use it where as this Ruger looks better with use, to me. Just want to add a set of faux Ivory grips or maybe a set of stag grips if they are under $100. Anyone know of a good place to buy these?

Thanks for any replies.

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
Go ahead and start saving for that Colt. You most likely won't be happy 'till you have one even it is just to lock away in your safe. But, I'm like you in that I'd rather have a Ruger to shoot. Some day you'll have the Ruger AND the Colt and you'll be happy.

happyskeeter

Bearcat
I just wanted to add that the 45Colt +P ammo the dealer sold me was the 200gr JHP Corbon listed at 1100 fps and with 537 ft/lbs of energy. This is not the really hot 700 ft/lbs plus loads.
Would this be safe to use?
The link above is confusing because they are talking about the hotter Corbon's or the Buffalo Bore ammo.

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
That still sounds a little too warm to me to use either in a Colt Single Action or the New Vaquero.....but that's just my opinion. I think the New Vaquero can handle it but I wouldn't make it a steady diet for sure.

lovesrugers

Bearcat
Well you could always check with Cor-Bon. According to them no that ammo may not be safe in your New Vaquero. Here is the actual statement from the cor-bon faq's page which is found Here:Dakota Ammo FAQ's page
What's the story behind COR®BON's non-SAAMI spec. 45 Colt +P and 45-70 Govt. +P loads?
COR®BON's 45 Colt +P ammunition is not suitable for all guns. It should NEVER be fired in old guns, especially Colt single action army revolvers or clones thereof.

We use these criteria: Any Model gun that is also offered in .44 magnums will handle COR®BON's 45 Colt +P loads. This cartridge may be used in modern hunting revolvers such as Ruger's "Black Hawk", and "Red hawk", Freedom Arms revolver, The Colt "Anaconda", and the Thompson Center "Contender".

Most modern lever action rifles chambered in 45 Colt will safely fire this +P round. However, some of the loads, such as the 335 grain hard cast may be too long to function/cycle in your gun. Our rounds are longer than standard SAAMI specs and as such may not feed into battery in lever action guns.

This cartridge, in the proper gun, makes a formidable hunting load. The 300 grain JSP round, for example, generates 1126 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle.

COR®BON's 45-70 +P loads are only recommended for the strongest of actions. Marlins "Model 1895" and The Ruger "#1" are suitable. Under no circumstances should our 45-70 govt. +P load be fired in "trap door" guns or replicas thereof.

Since the New Vaq is not chambered in 44 mag I think that is a pretty solid no.

Jerry

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Based upon the fact that Buffalo Bores Standard Pressure round is identical to the specs of the Corbon, and heavy +P Corbons say they are over SAMMI spec and this ammo does not have that statement. I believe they are safe for any modern .45 Colt.

I wouldn't take long to call Corbon.

JMHO

Dana

CraigC

Hawkeye
Without question, absolutely not!!! Lots of things to straighten out in this discussion. Firstly, your gun dealer is feeding you BS that can get you hurt. There is no SAAMI specification for .45Colt +P. What is commonly referred to as .45Colt +P or "Ruger only" loads run in the neighborhood of 25-32,000psi. None of which are safe for the New Vaquero, Colt SAA or any replica thereof.

batmann

Single-Sixer
Since I don't shoot .45 Colt, I am going to avoid anyting there. Holsters are a different matter.
Try El Paso Saddlery for one good price, good quality
Another is Black Hills Leather. If you do an inter-net search, it will get you going. Figure on $200+ for a good rig and that may be low.

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
The "New Vaqueros" have thinner cylinder walls than the original "Vaqueros" and blackhawks, I would only use standard pressure 45LC ammo in it and find a new gun dealer. Good thing you asked here.

GKC

Blackhawk

BearBio

Buckeye
Faux ivory= Western and wildlife wonders does an excellent aged ivory (~$40). Stag from Patrick Grashorn (~$120).

Holster: El Paso Saddlery!==THE BEST for 100 yrs! Mernickle does good work. Classic (besides EPS): try Heiser or Lawrence on Ebay. Also, Bianchi makes a good field holster.

Google any of the above. Good luck!==shopping is the best part. Teddy Roosevelt said we get 3 joys from a hunting trip: Planning, Doing, Remembering=all were equally enjoyable.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Ruger is chambering the New Vaquero in .45 with a .45 ACP cylinder. The .45 ACP +P will do about 1000-1100 fps with a 200 grn slug. There are .45 Colt loads with a 250-270 slug that will do about 1000 fps, that are in safe pressure ranges. This all sounds reasonable to me.

I personally would call Corbon, if all is good, hold those back for serious "SOCIAL" purposes.

Always better to be safe than sorry

maxpress

Buckeye
M'BOGO":340lrwe9 said:
Ruger is chambering the New Vaquero in .45 with a .45 ACP cylinder. The .45 ACP +P will do about 1000-1100 fps with a 200 grn slug. There are .45 Colt loads with a 250-270 slug that will do about 1000 fps, that are in safe pressure ranges. This all sounds reasonable to me.

I personally would call Corbon, if all is good, hold those back for serious "SOCIAL" purposes.

where r u seeing this at? i have been waiting for them to do this for a long time and will buy one as soon as they hit the market.
combed through the ruger site and cant find it.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk

Howdy

Where did you get this information? I just checked Ruger's website, and they still only list the New Vaquero chambered for either 357 Mag or 45 Colt. No convertibles with a 45 ACP cylinder. Now with the 'original model' Vaquero Ruger did offer a convertible model with a 45 Colt and 45 ACP cylinder. No different really than the convertible Blackhawk that I bought way back in 1975 with a 45 Colt and 45 ACP cylinder. But these were larger guns with larger cylinders and thicker chamber walls than the New Vaquero. But so far there is no offering of a 45 ACP cylinder for the New Vaquero that I can see.

As for listing bullet weight and velocity, as I have said over and over again on these forums, such information is useless. Bullet weight and velocity does not indicate pressure, and it is pressure that blows up guns. One recipe for a 250 grain slug at 1000 fps may be within SAAMI specs (but I doubt it) while another recipe may be right over the top with the same ballistics.

Ruger has been adamant that the New Vaquero should only be shot with SAAMI spec ammo, I don't know why shooters keep trying to push this envelope.