New to single actions-New Vaquero questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

happyskeeter

Bearcat
I called Corbon about this mild +P load and they said DO NOT use it. MY dealer said he will refund my money.
If Ruger does make a 45ACP cylinder is that something that would have to be fitted at the factory for a gun already in the hands of an owner or could you just order one without fitting?

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Davisons gallery of guns has some listed in blue and stainless, it is probably a distributor run.

Yes I agree, velocity does not tell the whole story. That is why I said check. There are different pressure curves, and burn rates, and variables. Just because you get the velocity that the powder Z provides in the safe range, doesn't mean powder X is safe. When it comes to safety, I venture to say MOST of us are allerjic to hot flying metal?

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
Correct me if I'm wrong but Saami spec .45 ACP is only 21,000 psi. Still quite a ways from .45C ruger only pressures? 32,000 psi?

CraigC

Hawkeye
Driftwood Johnson":1u8jepa4 said:
Ruger has been adamant that the New Vaquero should only be shot with SAAMI spec ammo, I don't know why shooters keep trying to push this envelope.
You can't really read much into that, they say that about all their guns. Officially, they have never acknowledged that their large frame .45's are any stronger than any other .45Colt. Nor have they ever condoned handloading.

Check out articles by Brian Pearce and Dave Scovill for data on pushing 260-270gr cast bullets to around 1100fps in Colt SAA's, replicas and the New Vaquero.

Wild Bill '67

Single-Sixer
The .45 Long Colt is a great cartridge and can be loaded in certain revolvers and single shots to .44 magnum levels or close to that.

However, with the New Vaquero, it is literally a smaller framed gun that the original Vaquero / Blackhawk.

Even if the gun didn't wear excessively, it really wouldn't be all to pleasant to shoot.

As previous forum members have said before, it ya want a .44 magnum, get a .44 magnum.

IMHO of course and MANY posters here have way more experience in hot rodding loads. Read, learn and read some more.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
I called Corbon about this mild +P load and they said DO NOT use it. MY dealer said he will refund my money.
If Ruger does make a 45ACP cylinder is that something that would have to be fitted at the factory for a gun already in the hands of an owner or could you just order one without fitting?

Generally speaking, cylinders have to be fitted to the gun. You may get lucky and find one that drops in, but if you do it is just dumb luck. But I am pretty sure Ruger will not sell you a cylinder, even if they had one for the New Vaquero chambered for 45ACP lying around. And I am pretty sure they no longer fit extra cylinders to a gun they sold with only one cylinder. They do not want to be in the custom gun business, they just want to sell stock guns. Why not call them and ask these questions yourself, they are always very straightforward over the phone.

A

Anonymous

CraigC":2r63rij8 said:
Without question, absolutely not!!! Lots of things to straighten out in this discussion. Firstly, your gun dealer is feeding you BS that can get you hurt. There is no SAAMI specification for .45Colt +P. What is commonly referred to as .45Colt +P or "Ruger only" loads run in the neighborhood of 25-32,000psi. None of which are safe for the New Vaquero, Colt SAA or any replica thereof.

:lol: Interesting..... :lol:

And then this....
You can't really read much into that, they say that about all their guns. Officially, they have never acknowledged that their large frame .45's are any stronger than any other .45Colt. Nor have they ever condoned handloading.

Check out articles by Brian Pearce and Dave Scovill for data on pushing 260-270gr cast bullets to around 1100fps in Colt SAA's, replicas and the New Vaquero.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Buffalo Bore specializes in trying to get more bullet energy out of loads with low peak pressures. Tim is using pressure test gear to work out loads that keep a steady pressure going longer rather than a short sharp spike in pressure.

It's quite possible to have two loads that deliver the same bullet energy, but one is doing double the peak pressure and is destructive to the gun. The other is doing half the pressure but holding it longer.

It's notably easier to pull off this trick with heavy hardcast loads as opposed to lighter JHPs. The hardcast with more weight (as high as 270gr in 45LC compatible with a post-WW2 Colt SAA, NewVaq, etc.) is moving slower at the first instants of burn, letting a slower-burn powder "catch fire". A lighter slug might be out and too far down the barrel before slow-burn powder can really wake up. So you end up needing faster-burn powder, which does a shorter, sharper pressure curve.

Anyways. Buffalo Bore says *their* version of the 200gr JHP doing 1,100fps is compatible with a NewVaq or even weaker solid-frame Uberti/Pietta/etc. And Buffalo Bore doesn't have a rep for blowing up guns, as long as you use their stuff in guns they say can cope.

Here's an example: BuffBore right now ships a 158gr 38+P all-lead hollowpoint rated at 1,000fps from a snubby. And it's really delivering that without blowing guns up or leading much (it's a gas-check). Cor-Bon used to sell a load exactly like it except no gas check - and it was leading up something brutal and otherwise had a bad reputation - it's long since discontinued. Cor-Bon has also backed off the pressure levels of their 125gr and 110gr 38+P loads of late - again, signs of over-pressure in some guns.

Cor-Bon doesn't have as good a rep for careful loading as Tim Sundles at BuffBore has now. I suspect Tim might be able to make a 200gr JHP @ 1,100ish work in a NewVaq where Cor-Bon can't.