New To Single Action Questions -- Help If You Have A Moment

Help Support Ruger Forum:

4MUL8R

Single-Sixer
Sorry to ask such simple questions to such a learned group. I've tried hard to search and read what I can.

I am in the market for a single action. I've owned a Freedom Arms Model 83, and enjoyed it for a brief romance. But, there are some aspects of owning an expensive revolver that lead me to consider the equally effective Blackhawk.

(1)Is the Super Blackhawk cylinder frame identical to that of the Blackhawk?

(2)Is the Super Blackhawk grip frame larger and steel vs. the Blackhawk grip frame smaller and aluminum?

(3)Can the Super Blackhawk grip frame be attached to a Blackhawk?

(4)Is the Super Blackhawk ejector rod housing steel vs. Blackhawk aluminum?

(5)Is the cylinder of a Ruger SA securely locked into alignment with the barrel at some point? The example SBH I felt was very loose in rotation after dropping the hammer using the trigger but keeping the hammer in my control as it fell. I'm used to DA revolvers being free of significant cylinder rotation at that point.

flatgate

Hawkeye
4MUL8R":36owblyb said:
I've owned a Freedom Arms Model 83, and enjoyed it for a brief romance. You had the best! IMHO there's no finer "production revolver" made. But, there are some aspects of owning an expensive revolver that lead me to consider the equally effective Blackhawk. Equally effective? Not hardly, the Model 83 is available in calibres that would destroy the standard Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk.

(1)Is the Super Blackhawk cylinder frame identical to that of the Blackhawk? Yes, except for the 50th Anniv. .357 Blackhawks and the recently introduced .41 mag. and .44 Specials which are produced on the "medium" frame.

(2)Is the Super Blackhawk grip frame larger and steel vs. the Blackhawk grip frame smaller and aluminum? Not always, the 4-5/8" and 5-1/2" Supers have "Blackhawk" grip frames, however they are steel. Of course, Stainless Steel Blackhawks are, uh, made from Stainless Steel.

(3)Can the Super Blackhawk grip frame be attached to a Blackhawk?
Quite readily! Most EVERY Ruger shooter has done the swap at some point in his life!

(4)Is the Super Blackhawk ejector rod housing steel vs. Blackhawk aluminum? Not always. Many changes have taken place over the years. Steel housings are cheap and easily acquired and installed.

(5)Is the cylinder of a Ruger SA securely locked into alignment with the barrel at some point? Without a doubt! Whenever the cylinder latch is engaged the cylinder is "locked in alignment" with the barrel. Of course, the most important time is when the hammer is at "Full Cock" and the trigger is being pulled. The cylinder latch stays locked until the hammer is again pulled to full cock. During that brief period the cylinder latch drops away from the locked position to allow the cylinder to rotate.

I hope I've offered some useable information.

My BEST PACKIN' PISTOL? 4-3/4" Freedom Arms .454.........

flatgate

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
By all means,, ask ANY honest question and you'll get good honest answers.
(ok, sometimes we do enjoy a little joking around too.)
Seriously,,, Flatgate has answered it quite well.

4MUL8R

Single-Sixer
Thank you for the info!

(1) again -- Your comment on the 41 Magnum and 44 Special having medium frames now has me thinking. I found a 41 Magnum used, blue steel, and thought "hey, that's an interesting calibre, if only it fit my hand better." I suppose this one is on the medium frame and I could swap the grip out. Is there any way to tell if the 41 Magnum is recently introduced or on the full size frame? I guess I could look at the Ruger site and the serial number history.

(4) again -- on a stainless SBH is the ejector rod housing stainless?

(5) again -- I will check this sample again at full cock and while the hammer is moving forward. I was just unhappy that after the hammer fell that the cylinder could rotate quite a bit. Maybe that is normal.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'll chime in here again.
Flatgates comments on (1) were referring to a LIMITED production 41 mag recently introduced being the medium frame. Not the normal production ones. It's the same frame as the Lipsey's 44 spl Flattop introduced last year. You can tell the difference by the Flattop frame, (no protected rear sight "ears.") Next,, the stainless ERH's can be either one,, and some folks have polished off the blueing on the aluminum ones to make them look better in their eyes. However,, if it comes as a new gun,, most likely the ERH will be stainless if the gun is stainless. And lastly,, as for cylinder movement. Not sure by what you mean it could rotate quite a bit,,?? Half way around or just some "play" in it. When they are at full cock,, it shouldn't move at all. Nor when it is being fired, (hammer moving forward,, or at rest,) should it move. You MIGHT get a little tiny bit of felt wiggle but not a lot of actual movement. The only time a NM should allow the cylinder to move a lot is when the loading gate is open.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
The 41 flattops of recent production are NOT on the medium-sized frame. They are built on the same frame as the 44 anniversary guns which is larger than the medium frame used on the 357 ann. and 44 sp. flattops. That was the only complaint I heard about the 41 FTs; they should have made them on the medium frame. Great guns nonetheless IMO.