New to reloading

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NCMountains

Bearcat
When you read a manual and see just how many different powders for the many different bullet weights you will understand how this hobby can get expensive but manageable as long as you find that one load you really like.

The Lee dippers are nice and I find them true and accurate but just one in the .5cc will not be the only one you need unless it is the right one for that certain powder and bullet you plan to reload only.

Like the others stated...........this is way addicting and once you find that sweet combination you like it will be streamlined but you will always find yourself wanting to experiment with other loads and then the one dipper and such will not do.

That is why I just broke down and bought the Lee Turrett 4 station auto index. It is as close to a progressive as you get without actually going progressive in my book. Plus once you get it down you could load maybe 100-150 rounds every 20-30 minutes with one. That is based on a guy I saw load .45 rounds with it on Youtube at 5 per minute and he was not really burning it up but taking his time so he did not screw anything up.

But enjoy and the result is gratifying for sure.

I just shot my 40 rounds I loaded at the range. They were softer than the factory Speer Gold Dot .38 Spl's I have but at 10 yards I kept 2" groups. The gun still needs some sighting in but I was extremely happy with the result. The first reload I was very nervous but after that I had confidence in what I loaded.

mdnoel

Bearcat
Edit: You mention casting your own lead bullets. Where do you buy the lead? i can buy 1000 lead cast bullets for about $52 not including shipping. Can you tell me a bit about your process, and how much the lead is / casting tools. THANKS!

Banjo, I'll very lightly touch on the casting aspect for you. I'm one of the lucky ones, I had a really good source for cheap lead. At this time I have approx 1 and 1/2 tons. I have about 1/2 of it melted down into ingots and the other 1/2 is in buckets. I think I have about $30.00 in it. A good source for lead is your local recycling center and of course a local garage for wheel weights. The cost of casting depends greatly on how much you want to get into it. If all you want to do is cast for the 9mm to keep you shooting than you can do it fairly cheap. I am a big Lee fan when it comes to casting. I have many Lee molds and have been so satisfied that I have found no reason to buy any other kind. Although I use a Lyman sizer luber, you can and I did for many years use Lee molds and tumble lube the bullets and shoot as cast. The great thing about dropping my own bullets is that I can drastically reduce my cost and quite frankly I really enjoy it. I have pictures of my shop on another thread here (reloading work area) check out my set up. It's simple, pot,molds and exhaust hood.
You can keep things as simple or get as involved as you want.

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
I started reloading to save m oney. Now I cast my own and load for just about everything. I do it because I like it and it lets me shoot ome strange older cartridges such as 7x 57 ackly improved, 357 herret and a lot of military cartridges that iwould have a hard time finding ammo for. All in all I find it relaxing and very satisfying. I really like deer hunting with bullets I cast. It is a very rewarding hooby and I hoope you enjoy it. Steve