New to me SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

johngunguy

Bearcat
Purchased a used in great shape SP101 today. I have to say that this is one of the greatest small revolvers I have handled. It has the Wolff main spring in it and I really like the the fact that the double action can be staged like a Smith trigger. I got the hammerless model. Can't wait to shot it at the range. I also like the fact that it has the barrel configuration similar to the Detective Special which I have always liked the looks of. I guess I can retire my old Smith M60.

John

SP101002.jpg

Stephen A. Camp

Bearcat
Hello and congratulations on your purchase. If you enjoy your SP101 even half as much as I've enjoyed mine, I think you will agree that the money was well-spent!

Like yourself, I really, really appreciate the way the SP101's trigger can be staged, particularly at speed with little fear of going past that point where the "careful" pressure is applied.

I also prefer a spurless hammer on my IWB carry guns like the SP101. Though my gun's barrel length a tad longer than your guns, I find that the SP101 carries very nicely that way.

Best and enjoy your revolver.

Knuckles

Buckeye
I had a new S&W "Centennial" that I thought I'd try in place of my Sp101/DAO... I offed it and I'm going back to the SP101.

Picture156-1.jpg

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
I really like mine as well. It is a common companion on long travel trips.

Mine too is the spurless model and haven't changed a thing on it. For self defense ammo, I use Speer Gold Dot and Remington Golden Sabres...both in 357 magnum and 38 +p calibers.
Target practice I use semi-jacketed soft tips.

Regards,

MD

BobbyS

Bearcat
The SP-101 is one of those guns that fit my hand like a glove. Already the proud owner of a GP-100 in .357 I was considering the .327. Congrats on your new piece, it's a beauty...

bub

Single-Sixer
Congrats on the SP. I have one that I bought new a few years ago and LOVE IT!!!! It originally came with a spurred hammer, I ended up cutting the spur off because I was having trouble with the spur getting caught on clothes when drawing. The SP replaced a S&W M649 for backup/off duty carry and I have been nothing but overjoyed with it from day one.

If you are handy, I'll make a suggestion. Go to www.rugerforum.net and join. After 10 posts, a new section called "The Library" will be revealed. In "The Library" you will find the IBOK for the SP101. The IBOK was written by Iowegan, a retired gunsmith that worked on numerous Ruger guns. IBOK comes from "Iowegan's Book Of Knowledge". The IBOK details how to detail strip the gun, clean it out good and do a "Fluff and Buff" on the innards. I did it to my SP and the DA trigger, even with factory springs, is WORLDS better than the trigger on my M649. There is a LOT that can be done to these guns to make them a lot more shootable.

Another option, since you have the older stocks with separate panels, is to go to the "Recurring Items" thread towards the bottom of this page. There, you will find member 41 Magnum's custom stock panels. I have a set I bought to dress up my SP and they look and feel GREAT! Price is good, too. Here's a pic of mine.

sp-101-7.jpg

Good luck with your SP. It's a great gun and should provide you with years of service.

Bub

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
Mine has a longer snout and different cal. but it is my favorite woods
packer...

FrontSite

SP1014.jpg

Dirknar

Bearcat
knuckles what grips are those?

I am really thinking I need one of these fine revolvers lately. in fact i handeled one today..

Im trying to decide on a new pistol, as I sold a lot of guns at the begining of the summer to fund a motorcycle..

I need to be able to have fun shooting it but also be able to pack it.
Sig p220 carry with thin grips
Sig p229r .40
G23
Sp101

Kind of in that order.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Mine has the Hogue grip which I really prefer over the factory one but that's a personal thing. YGMV.

I certainly second the recommendation for the Gemini Custom's replacement front sight. I installed one of ther fiber optic front bladerd on my 3-1/16" .357 and it makes a world of difference in the sight picture. It's an easy to install, very low cost improvement.

Knuckles

Buckeye
Dirknar":18l9uxk4 said:
knuckles what grips are those?

I am really thinking I need one of these fine revolvers lately. in fact i handeled one today..

Im trying to decide on a new pistol, as I sold a lot of guns at the begining of the summer to fund a motorcycle..

I need to be able to have fun shooting it but also be able to pack it.
Sig p220 carry with thin grips
Sig p229r .40
G23
Sp101

Kind of in that order.

They are "Uncle Mikes / Boot-grips" formally made by Butler Creek... There's still some floating around on the Ruger Classifieds and you'll find them on e-bay every now and then... I just got these grips from a forum member last month.

If you have a medium-large hand you should take a look at "Trausch "... those are great pointing grips like the "Uncle Mike's" but have a larger three finger groove design.

Palu

Bearcat
Nice gun. I have a GP100 6" and that gun (SP101, DAO, 2 1/4", .357) is my next purchase.

Latest posts