New to me SP101 .38

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BC in TN

Bearcat
I recently purchased this SP101 which prompted me to do some reading on them and join the forum.
Apparently this is a first year, 3 1/16" that seems to be in pretty good condition.
The trigger on this one is not like what I've read about… also, there are no rough edges anywhere. For a ten pull average, this trigger pulls 8lbs, 14 oz in double action; single action ten pull average is 3lb, 1 oz. I'm thinking the factory springs were replaced or maybe just a good trigger job?
The pistol has a Meprolight MH3 front sight that still glows.
I bought the pistol locally with 32 rounds of Winchester ammo for $450 cash. There was no box nor paperwork. After reading all I could find on these 101s and firing 82 rounds of ammo I'm liking this one.
I couldn't find many sales history on these .38s for price comparisons – & new 101s (.357) seem to be readily available for about $500. If I researched the date of manufacture correctly this one is 27 years old.
Can anyone tell me about the grip inserts – factory or aftermarket - maker?
Have I got the date of manufacture right on this – 1989?

Serial # is: 570-01777

101%20LT_zps29lurp8f.jpg

101%20RT_zps0ienzz9u.jpg

If someone shot, cleaned, and lubed that gun regularly I wouldn't doubt that you have stock springs. I bought my SP101 .357 with a spring kit in it and put the stock set back in because I hate a really light trigger pull. I've put a gazillion rounds through that thing and the trigger pull is amazingly smooth, I don't have a trigger gauge other than my finger and muscle memory but it's a really easy pull too.

lharrell79

Single-Sixer
BC in TN said:
I recently purchased this SP101 which prompted me to do some reading on them and join the forum.
Apparently this is a first year, 3 1/16" that seems to be in pretty good condition.
The trigger on this one is not like what I've read about… also, there are no rough edges anywhere. For a ten pull average, this trigger pulls 8lbs, 14 oz in double action; single action ten pull average is 3lb, 1 oz. I'm thinking the factory springs were replaced or maybe just a good trigger job?
The pistol has a Meprolight MH3 front sight that still glows.
I bought the pistol locally with 32 rounds of Winchester ammo for $450 cash. There was no box nor paperwork. After reading all I could find on these 101s and firing 82 rounds of ammo I'm liking this one.
I couldn't find many sales history on these .38s for price comparisons – & new 101s (.357) seem to be readily available for about $500. If I researched the date of manufacture correctly this one is 27 years old.
Can anyone tell me about the grip inserts – factory or aftermarket - maker?
Have I got the date of manufacture right on this – 1989?

(I was unable to post pics - I just can't make 'em work).
Serial # is: 570-01777

101%20LT_zps29lurp8f.jpg

101%20RT_zps0ienzz9u.jpg

Looks like aftermarket inserts to me.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I've seen those grip inserts or something very similar to them on Ebay. Definitely not from the factory.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Captain America said:
If someone shot, cleaned, and lubed that gun regularly I wouldn't doubt that you have stock springs.
A sub-9 pound double action trigger pull is not going to happen with an SP with stock springs even if it's been fired 10,000 times and lubed religiously. My well shot and smoothed up GP has the same DA pull weight but it has a Wolff 10-pound hammer spring and 8-pound trigger return spring in it. The stock springs (14-pound hammer and 11-pound trigger return) give a MUCH heavier trigger pull, way over my RCBS's tripper pull scale's max reading, and no amount of dry or live fire will reduce it that much.

wolfee

Blackhawk
BC, I can't help much with your questions, but just have to comment on what a nice piece that is. I am a big double action Ruger fan, especially the ones chambered 38 only. Even my GP's are 38's. The one gun I keep looking for is a 3" SP like yours. If you have an early production, then you have a gun built on a frame that is a tiny bit shorter than the current SP's. When Ruger finally decided they could chamber SP's for 357, they had to stretch the frame and cylinder a few hundreths of an inch to accomodate the longer ammo. At first, they used the original frames and just marked the magnums "125 gr bullet only". Then they finally decided to stretch it. Whenever it was made, you got a less common version and IMHO, the perfect barrel length for an SP.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Very nice gun! I'm a big fan of .38 SP101's and shoot mine regularly. All of mine have 2 1/4" and I've been looking for a 3" like yours. My prefixes run from the 571 Series to the 575 Series. I believe that someone applied some elbow grease and polished yours. The usual finish is more of a brushed but not quite matte. There was at least one run of High Gloss Stainless SP101's but I don't know if they produced .38's or 3" .38's in the High Gloss. All of mine are spot on for windage but some require a center-hold and others a twelve o'clock hold for elevation. Happy shooting.

Best Regards,
ADP3

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
You definitely have a first year production SP-101, 1989 is correct. As noted,,, the grip inserts are not factory. And it may have had an action job, since it's smooth & with the trigger pull weights you've shared. All in all, a very nice piece.

Latest posts