New to me Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Stopped in at a pawn shop to look around yesterday and they had a blued Single Six convertible with 6.5" barrel under the glass. The finish was worn but the gun seems to be in excellent mechanical condition, very faint turn line on the cylinder and the bore is nice and shiny. Serial number dates to 1989. They were asking $300.00 but agreed to $280.00 and layaway.

These are my favorite kind of guns to buy: not collectible and the finish is already worn so I don't feel bad about any boo-boos that might happen, but functionally excellent. I already have a 4-5/8" Single Six that has served me well, however I have wanted a longer barrel for quite some time now. The 4-5/8 tube has never looked right to me, the tall front sight and full length ejector housing gives it a sawed off appearance. I'll take it to my favorite fun store and see if the owner wants to buy it. If he doesn't, then I'll put it up for sale here.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
THAT 4 5/8" Single Six is FAR---as in a damnsite scarcer---rarer than ANY of the longer BBL length Single Six 22 pistols. Last time I checked only 7% of ALL Single sixes were made with the 4 5/8" BBL's.
The 6 1/2" Single Six pistols are as common as Iowa cornstalks in comparison with the 5 1/2" guns being even more so.
And so it goes...

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Interesting, the 4-5/8 and 6-1/2 have always been very popular here. The 5-1/2 is the rare one. The guy that runs the shop is a friend and pays good money for used Rugers, at least what I could make selling on the internet minus shipping. If he is not interested you bet I will offer it here.

bogus bill

Hunter
I bought the single six on top about 17 years ago and it was made about 1958?? It has the box and it looked unfired. I have only took it out and tried it out only once or twice. My first good revolver was a convertible single six I bought new in 1961 with the 6 1/2" barrel. I probably shot that one more than most of my other handguns put together since. It was stolen. I bought this one to replace it, "Just because". The lower one is in .32 H&R mag. Also bought it at the same shop long ago. Roughly, what would each go for?

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The local guy bought my old Single Six for almost what i paid for it so I am happy with that. He also confirmed that most Ruger single actions he sells have the 6-1/2 or 4-5/8 barrel, he had a few under the glass in fact.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
FergusonTO35 said:
Stopped in at a pawn shop to look around yesterday and they had a blued Single Six convertible with 6.5" barrel under the glass. The finish was worn but the gun seems to be in excellent mechanical condition, very faint turn line on the cylinder and the bore is nice and shiny. Serial number dates to 1989. They were asking $300.00 but agreed to $280.00 and layaway.

These are my favorite kind of guns to buy: not collectible and the finish is already worn so I don't feel bad about any boo-boos that might happen, but functionally excellent. I already have a 4-5/8" Single Six that has served me well, however I have wanted a longer barrel for quite some time now. The 4-5/8 tube has never looked right to me, the tall front sight and full length ejector housing gives it a sawed off appearance. I'll take it to my favorite fun store and see if the owner wants to buy it. If he doesn't, then I'll put it up for sale here.

I think you mean Super Single Sixes not Single Sixes because you talked about a "tall front sight". Fully adjustable sighted single sixes are actually Super Single Sixes and that way we know what each other is talking about.

But regardless of which sighting system they have, the 4 5/8" guns always have much lower production numbers, only 9 1/2" are lower in numbers. Much worse for old models. If you run across an old model 4 5/8" Super Single Six that hasn't had the barrel cut down, know that only 12 have been observed!

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Ok, now I see. Both my former 4-5/8 and new to me 6.5 are new model Super Single Sixes. I'm looking forward to chronographing various .22 magnums, especially the Hornady Critical Defense.