New to me Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Springer2

Bearcat
We had an opportunity to acquire a security six in 357 mag. It is in good condition, looks like it got some use, and was taken care of. The springs seem to have good strength and we look forward to getting to the range. I will post again after we shoot it.
Ruger Security 6 in box.jpg

Onty

Single-Sixer
We had an opportunity to acquire a security six in 357 mag. It is in good condition, looks like it got some use, and was taken care of. The springs seem to have good strength and we look forward to getting to the range. I will post again after we shoot it.
View attachment 5071
Congratulations! You've got IMO the most "balanced" 357 Magnum DA 6" revolver, considering legendary durability, weight and balance.

Springer2

Bearcat
Congratulations! You've got IMO the most "balanced" 357 Magnum DA 6" revolver, considering legendary durability, weight and balance.
Thanks. Hope to get to the range in a week or so. We have a Ruger 357/9mm single action, an old model Dan Wesson 715 357 that is very accurate, and I have even shot some wadcutters out of a Dan Wesson model 40 357 Super Mag. The Security Six will be in good company. :)

Springer2

Bearcat
Finally got to the range and had problems. I just cleaned the revolver at home but did not try to load it until I got to the range. The cylinder did not want to close with just moderate pressure and I did not want to push anything as I kept thinking I was missing something. I had some handloads and factory ammo, none of which would load. I looked for the obvious stuff: cylinder rod loose, extractor has something under it keeping it from seating, high primer, case not seating all the way in the cylinder but everything checked out. I wanted to be sure it was not the ammo and I also had the Dan Wesson with me and it loaded and shot everything without any issue. It was the revolver, not an ammo issue.

After I got home I cleaned the revolver, cleaned the extractor and even checked it with a caliper to make certain the extractor was completely seated, it was. I used some fired brass to check each chamber to see if one had a burr or something but it hung up from every chamber when you tried to rotate it. If the round is not on the top of the cylinder but on the bottom ones, it will close fine but will then hang up when you cycle the action and try to bring it into battery before it lines up with the barrel. I tried at lease 20 difference fired cases, all were seated completely and only 2 closed and rotated okay. Those two had a rim thickness of under 0.054" where the rest that would not close were in the 0.055"+ range. I think the SAAMI spec for 357 Mag/38 Special clearance is 0.060" minimum for the rim side. I checked the clearance in the front and back of the cylinder; the front was a very tight 0.002" and the back (where the rim is) was a snug 0.056". I wanted to measure another 357 to compare it. The Dan Wesson cylinder is recessed so that is sort of apples and oranges but we also have a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 mag. The Blackhawk was 0.002" in the front (muzzle end) and 0.060" in the back. All of the fired brass went in the Blackhawk and it rotated without resistance.

It looks almost like the clearance is undersized on the rim side of the revolver. Just wanted to see if any of you had something similar happen. Thanks.

Springer2

Bearcat
Ok, this may sound silly but ….. did the previous owner only shoot 38 Special leaving a "ring" in each cylinder and you were loading 357?
Thank you for the response. I was shooting 38s and the brass was going all the way down. I did try to chamber a 357 and it went all the way down and flush with the cylinder.

Springer2

Bearcat
I've read thru this and I hope I'm not missing this suggestion already... Have you ensured the extractor/ejector assembly is screwed together tightly? If it is screwed together less than fully, it will cause this symptom.
Yes, as quoted above: "I looked for the obvious stuff: cylinder rod loose..." But even when that occurs, it will make it hard to close regardless where the cylinder is indexed. Now at the bottom, it will close no problem but not at the top where it goes into battery.

Springer2

Bearcat
Wonder if the crane/yoke (whatever Ruger calls it) is somehow bent?
I just don't see how. There is a VERY tight 0.002" at the forcing cone and it is about 0.004" under minimum at the back. I would think if something would be bent, one side would be tight and the other side loose but here both sides are tight. In addition, the measurements are consistent on both sides of the frame so it really looks like it is in straight. I do appreciate the suggestion in any case.

hittman

Staff member
I have an older Security Six and it is difficult to swing open the cylinder. The gun works fine …. It's just way harder to open and close than it should be.

One day I switched it's crane and barrel assembly with a different Security Six. No change. The same gun that's hard to open …. Still hard to open. I quit messing with it since it shoots fine.

That's NO help for you I know …. Just another little tick or quirk that pops up from time to time.

Do you know if the previous owner did any or had any work done to it? 0.002 barrel/cylinder gap is pretty tight for a DA handgun as is a 0.004 at the rear. Is there any movement fore and aft? It is also possible, thought rarely seen, that the ratchet was sized incorrectly and is too short. The ratchet when it touches the frame sets the distance of the cylinder to the frame. A "short" ratchet will cause the cylinder to be too close to the frame and binding can happen. Also since you said it only happens at the top that the end of the crane cylinder is worn or has been modified and now is at a slight angle where it should be perpendicular (90 degrees) to the crane cylinder.

Latest posts