New to me Security six... couple of questions...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Buzz Yooper

Bearcat
New to me Security six, 2-3/4 inch barrel.... Serial Prefix, 154, I believe made in 1979... It has a Tritium type front sight, which has almost completely petered out... Was this a factory option at one time, or aftermarket... 2nd question.... pachmayer grips with ruger medallions... again, was this a factory option.... 3rd question,,, the bottom rear portion of the grip appears to be "Round Butt" configuration, but the bottom front of the grip looks like square butt configuration.... Normal??? Factory ??? last question, the configuration of the bottom of the grip, (square front, round rear part), looks to fit perfectly in the pachmayr grips... the grips do not appear to have been modified in any way to fit this configuration....

Thanks in advance for any help

Buzz

Attachments

• r2.jpg
    r2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 152
  • r4.jpg
    r4.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 157
  • ar3.jpg
    ar3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 150

hittman

Staff member
No, thats not the factory front site.
Those grips came factory most commonly on the Speed Six, especially the USPS guns.
Yes it could be factory round butt and it would be ultra rare.
The model number Ruger provides you on the letter will say.
Only one way to find out for sure and it'll cost you a whopping $10.00.

wproct

Single-Sixer
Nice revolver! Personally I have never been much of a fan of Pachmayr grips, but those are well proportioned and look like they would be quite comfortable.

moparclan

Single-Sixer
Somebody wanted round butt grips on a square butt revolver and got busy with a grinder. Not hard to do and not much metal to remove.
DSC01626.JPG

Same grips on my speed six marked Ruger round butt, made in Italy
Both of these have the original factory front sights.
DSC00537.JPG

Last edited:

LDM

Blackhawk
I have the Sile Pirellis (Italian Goodyears) on my Police Service Six. Makes for a comfortable non-slip grip. Especially helpful when firing full power magnum loads.