New To Me Ruger Old Army and some Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rclark

Hunter
Here is my family. Missing from picture is a blued 5 1/2" fixed sighted ROA that I acquired a couple years ago.

Attachments

• RugerOldArmyFamily800.jpg
    RugerOldArmyFamily800.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

edlmann

Blackhawk
However the OA nipple wrench is not the best option.
XCELITE L6 3/16" Long Handled Nut Driver
and you can get them at ebay also, for less money than the Ruger Wrench, and it works so much better. Control.
$10.50 shipped to your door, I like the Xcelite because it has a hollow shaft (good inside length) and a bigger handle.

Alternate source: Gun Parts Corp.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Does anyone here use the pellets?

I have, and they work fine.

I still have half a jar of them.

I bought the pellets to eliminate so much "fooling around" when loading.

Then it dawned on me- the "fooling around" is the primary reason that I'm shooting a cap 'n ball revolver! 😂

Back to loose powder, a powder flask, and measuring powder charges… 😎

Last edited:

"Thumbs up" for using the 3/16" nut driver!

The longer one that G2 showed is a lot nicer for big hands.

The little one that edlmann linked to is pretty small, but extremely handy for tossing in a range bag. It also might help avoid possible trouble, from over-tightening nipples in the cylinder. 💡

The nipples should be snug, but no need to tighten them using your "gorilla" strength...

Being both OCD and a hoarder… I naturally have some of each! 🤪

I like the Ruger stamp on your holster in this pic, and the one in your profile pic. What's the story behind those?
They are Bianchi made holsters that we're available with the Ruger emblem or without for single actions , they were available for 4 5/8", 6 1/2" or 7 1/2" barrel lengths. I always thought they were old school cool and good protection while hunting. I have 2 with the Ruger logo and several without.

Hankus

Blackhawk
I haven't fired an Old Army since ~1978 maybe. My best friend's father had one that he would pull out on our weekly trips to the range back in the day. I saw one for sale at the Sarasota gun show back in October or November but I passed it up to buy my Bisely Vaquero project gun from the same table.