New to Me Ruger No. 3 45-70 - What Should I Do?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tom in Ohio

Bearcat
I just picked up a 1976 Ruger No. 3 in 45-70 off of GB:

0102688A-EA76-4CF9-8ADD-09581292BD2B.jpeg

Within 15 minutes, I pulled the scope and installed a Skinner peep sight.
A14902FD-E839-4C10-9814-BE8E20AFA7D7.jpeg

The rifle is in very good condition with only a few scratches on the stocks. I'm planning on using it for whitetail deer hunting this fall. I'm also going to restock it, but I can't decide which way to go (I'll be doing all the work myself). Here's the two options I'm considering:

(1) Replace the stocks with new ones. A No. 1 buttstock with a recoil pad and an RSI forend with an Ebony tip schnabel to extend it to the muzzle. The barrel is 22" versus the RSI 20", but I can bring the stock up to length with the Ebony tip. I really like the look of the RSI, and it would be something unique. I would also be able to spare the original stocks.

(2) Reshape the original stocks. I would thin the grip, cut the butt square, reshape the comb, and install a recoil pad. I would remove the barrel band, cut the forend, thin it, and add an Ebony tip. Pretty much trying to approximate what R.J. Renner does with the No. 3. The upside to this option is I wouldn't need to do any inletting and would save a few hundred bucks.

What do you think?

Rich/WIS

Bearcat
Went with a No 1 buttstock on one but retained the original forend and band for the "old timey" look. The other one had been restocked when I got it with a thinned forend, barrel mounted swivel, and a No 1 style buttstock with a English/European style cheek piece. Looks sorta like a British/European stalking rifle. Both have scopes in Ruger mounts and recoil pads. Recoil with factory level 30/40 ammo is not light but most of my shooting is with reduced loads and cast bullets. Factory level loads are just for deer hunting, and maybe Elk if I ever draw a tag.

Tom in Ohio

Bearcat
I plan on shooting trap door loads for deer. I found a decent No. 1 buttstock for a low price, so I'm going to try it out and see how I like the fit. There's enough meat on it for me to reduce or eliminate the pistol grip if I want, so I'll be able to spare the original now whichever way I go.

instructor

Single-Sixer
I have a NO 3 rifle and originally was a 45/70 caliber, but you will note the factory barrel is a bit on the slim side and had it replaced by Douglas with a heavier walled barrel in that same caliber and decidedly less felt recoil. Decided to have me a coyote rifle or whatever varmints I encountered and also had a Douglas SS barrel installed on the NO 3 in 6BR caliber. Only change in the receiver is the extractor due to different case dimensions which is an easy job. Both calibers perform very well and truly like the Ruger NO 3 rifle.
Had the butt stock and for end checkered, did away with the plastic barrel band and rounded off the end of the forward wood and looks fine. Been considering doing away with the curved butt plate but just have not got around to it yet. I am not a collector but a shooter on a local range which I visit almost every week.

Tom in Ohio

Bearcat
I'm not a collector either. I'm a shooter and probably more than that a tinker - I can't leave any of my guns original.

Tom in Ohio

Bearcat
I'm going the RSI route. One of the other board members offered me a forearm that will work, so that settles it. I'll post pictures when I put it together, which unfortunately won't be too soon. Too many other projects before it.

G2

Hunter
Some custom No.3's work and some don't… this is one of the nicest I have ever seen, I really like the tone and sheen on the wood.

RJ Renner does some nice customs too. The 45/70:with the pewter nose cap is classic. He is expensive, but to get the best cost $$$$$.

Last edited: