New (to me) OM FT 44

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Axehandle

Buckeye
Just in from the west coast.... Little Flattop 44 from 1957.....
Looks a little rough but is solid as a rock... ;D
I think the dimple in the ejector button and the little indicator on the elevation screw make it a solid type 2
001-67.jpg

002-60.jpg

003-53.jpg

004-47.jpg

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
I think it is darn clean. Sure it is missing some blue but the missing blue I am sure has a few tales to tell. Somone got some good use of that Pistol and took care of it it looks like.

americal

Hunter
AXE :) I simply love to see patina like that 8) 8) I hope you leave as it is--- worn in looks but beatiful in another way :) like those grips :!: :!:

Axehandle

Buckeye
Yup forgot the basepin.... FWIW the collarless basepin is std original equipment on the early OM FT 44s.... This was the gun that earned the reputation for shucking and losing basepins in the field... I spent years looking at later guns that the ejector shroud had to come off to get the base pin out and didn't understand... My first type 2 OM 44 showed me. On these guns the BP comes all the way out without removing anything...

SAJohn

Hunter
Chet and Axehandle, That infamous $500 .44 Flattopwith stambar grips I just bought through the classified also came with the collarless basepin. I have cleaned but not fired it yet. Is that odd basepin going to be a problem? How rare are they?

SAJohn

Axehandle

Buckeye
Can't speak on the rare quality of the collarless base pin... Can say that SNs 1861 and 4270 have it..... Understand that if you take your gun to the field the pin can jump clear of the gun and they hide real good.... Belt Mountain makes a locking replacement pin...

SAJohn

Hunter
Axe, I have about 4 of those Belt mountain pins. Despite some of Iowegan's reservations, they have all improved my OM Ruger Blackhawks.

Only if your cylinder happens to be setting a tad high would the BM cylinder pins cause a problem. If anything, most cylinders are a bit low in my experience.

I once had the whole ejector rod assembly depart and it took a lot of hunting to collect the pieces.

John

Latest posts