New to me GP100...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Loanshark

Bearcat
I didn't get to check this one out before I bought it. And even if I had I'm a total newb when it comes to revolvers.

My father and I were shooting it and when he went to cock it the hammer wouldn't go all the way back. I tried it too, swung the cylinder out, back in and it was fine... it happened to him twice in 100 rounds. It never happened while I was shooting. My father doesn't shoot much at all.

Later at home I dry fired it a couple hundred times and it seems fine??

Later still, while checking it over, I put the cylinder in full lockup and looked down the barrel with a light behind the cylinder and it looks like i can see the edge of the cylinder bore on one side. Is this normal? Should I send it to Ruger? Is it something I can fix? Should I take it to a local smith? Should I just shoot it and not worry?

It's a used stainless with a 4" barrel, it looks real nice...

Pal Val

Buckeye
That jam has happened to me too. It could be a bit of dirt under a cartridge rim or the back of a cartridge. This means you have a pretty tight gun. When you swung the cylinder out and back, it's likely that you got rid of whatever bit of crud was causing the jam.

If you have been tilting the gun up to cock the hammer while shooting single action, you are inviting this jam. Try and see if it happens while shooting double action. Something tells me it won't jam.

Abut the other thing, I don't know, but perhaps you should have it checked, to be on the safe side. Perhaps a local armorer can check it with a range rod. Should take a minute. If the gun "spits" lead at the gap, it's a good indication that it needs fixing. DON'T TRY SHOOTING THE GUN WITH YOUR HAND OR FINGER NEAR THE CYLINDER GAP. IT WILL GIVE YOU A REALLY NASTY BURN.

Loanshark

Bearcat
I ran six LRN rounds through it tonight. The rounds left some lead behind in the cylinder. I pushed a plastic straw down the barrel and you can definately catch the edge of the cylinder on one side. The cylinder is not quite rotating far enough. I believe this is refered to as being out of time. Is this something that a handy newb can fix, or ???

LTB45

Bearcat
I am also a new GP 100 owner with limited revolver experience. I own many semi's.
IMO I would get it checked professionally! I would not want to be shooting an out of time .357 or any other caliber.

Safety first!