New to me GP100 .44 Spl

Help Support Ruger Forum:

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
Greetings all. On my way home today from the dr. I stopped at the local Cabela's. In their "pre-owned" case I noticed the GP. Best of all, it was the blued, 5 inch, model. This is the first one I have seen. Asked to see/fondle it and asked if the price marked was the best price for it. Longer story shortened, they took $40.00 off of the asking price and it followed me home. It is just the pistol and not the box and accessories, but that is okay with me. Now the question(s) that I have are this. I can't find this listed on the Ruger site. Were these only a short production run or a special, like Talo, etc.? Also, it has a 178 prefix number and that isn't listed on Ruger either. Any idea of the year of mfr?

This thing is extremely clean, no marks on it that I can find anywhere, including a VERY light cylinder drag ring and hammer rub. Can't wait to clean it up and then go get it dirty. Am mucho happy.

choirboy

Bearcat
It was a Lipsey's gun. RUGP-4451-5 This is the number I found. 5" blue full lug. Standard GP 100 grips.

Ah, here 'tis . . .

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=253331

Bigger picture shows up here . . .

https://rugerforum.net/ruger-double-action/259465-5-gp-44-spls-lipsey-s.html

:)

rangerbob

Buckeye
I just checked Lipseys. They no longer list that model. I have the 5" half lug model. My smith is installing a taller fiber optic front sight from Dawson Precision as we speak. These guns will handle any sane 44 special load and they are a hoot to shoot. Bob!! :mrgreen:

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
Quick follow up here. I did call Ruger on this pistol. As you guys stated, it is a Lipsey's special run. Not that I doubted you guys, I was looking for the mfr date. The nice lady at Ruger (Louise) looked it up and told me that a.) it doesn't show up on their web site because it is a Lipsey's, and b.) it was shipped to them April '18! So, that explains the condition that I got it in, isn't old enough to develop any real character to it. Also, did a cursory cleaning last night (to nock the big chunks out before shooting) and installed hammer shims in it to stop the drag. She dry fires in d/a very smoothly. Can't wait to get her to the range. Am definitely mucho happy.

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
I got to the range yesterday and put about 60 - 80 rounds through this. All I can say is she is sweet. Very smooth trigger pull, very manageable recoil (Skeeter Skelton load) and just plain fun to shoot. Oh, and VERY accurate. Definitely a great buy. :)

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
Sounds like a dream story. I jumped back on here after a long hiatus just to look up information on these GP100 44spc revolvers. I am thinking I want one bad. Either the 5" or the 3".

Latest posts