new to me flattop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob1221

Bearcat
I just found a old .44 mag. flattop and don't know what to do with it. It's in a well worn condition and a off brand set of grips. Some where along the line the front sight has been replaced with a non-ruger sight. I thinking of having the barrel cut to 4 5/8" and just shooting the heck out of it. What do you think?

Sounds like a great idea and a lot of fun. I just picked up and old SBH with some pitting on the barrel and ejector housing and am also thinking of doing some custom work.

flatgate

Hawkeye
One thing we collectors would ask........ what's the serial number?

We "love" little serial number and we "love" to get consecutive serial numbers to guns we already have.

Depending on exact circumstances, it's possible for you to, perhaps, upgrade to a bit nicer gun........

JMHO,

flatgate

ltapd204

Single-Sixer
I came across an old .44 Flattop some time back and made a post about it.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... highlight=

I too had to determine what to do. Mine came with a cut down barrel with a sight I believe to be from an old Remington rifle and no ejector rod housing. The Flattop is currently at a local gunsmith having an original 6 1/2" barrel and new ejector rod installed. I till haven't decided to refinish or not. Knowing that this gun is not collector grade I plan on shooting the heck out of it. The worn finish has lots of character so I may not re-blue it.

Keep us posted on what you decide.