New to me Elmer book

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Just received a book I got on Ebay by the grand old man himself, Elmer Keith. It's called Guns & Ammo for Hunting Big Game. It's not a very common book, leather bound, 384 pages, and it's mine ! Just perusing the book, there are several photos I've never seen in other publications. I'm excited !

037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

040.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality. The one of Elmer with the cape buffalo and his double rifle are my favorite !

sixshot

Buckeye
Jeff, way to go! that sounds like a great book, no I don't have that one, I've seen some of those photo's but never that book. Enjoy!!

Dick

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Here's my pile of Elmer books, either by him, or, about him. I think this is all of them. If anyone knows of any missing, please let me know. Thanks, Jeff

books004.jpg

bisley41, my latest acquisition was published 1965, as a set. The other book was a Towsend Whelen book, Mr. Riffleman, I believe.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
Jeff,

WOW!

I am envious. Nice collection you have there and congratulations on the new addition.

I have alsways been a gun enthusiasts until the last handful of years. I would now consider myself a fanatic. One of the most unexpected and pleasant surprises is discovering the books side of this hobby. Excellent reading.

~c.r.

americal

Hunter
GREAT :) love that photo of Elmer & that DOUBLE RIFLE 8) 8) Wonder if that is the gun Jim Corbett owned :?: I think Elmer said that was his most prized gun in his posession :)

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I've got all those too with the exception of Safari. I've had several opportunities to buy it but its a bit pricy. But I do have a couple letters from Elmer on Guns and Ammo stationery to my Aunt who is mentioned in two of his books. (neighbor)

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
protoolman, what was your Aunts name ? And in what context was she mentioned, by 'ole Elmer ? You got me curious :roll: . Thanks, Jeff

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I found my copy of Safari last year at a gun show and it was signed by EMK. I also have Shotguns by Keith and that one is also signed. My other EMK books are not signed. I bought my copy of Safari as soon as I saw it even though it didn't have the dust jacket. The price was $85.00.

I was sitting at my table thinking about what a great find I had just made when the guy at the table behind me said to his wife that he thought he would just go and buy the copy of Safari that he'd seen earlier that day. I had to ask him if the copy I had was the one he was talking about and it was. I've learned to jump with both feet when something good turns up.

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
I've learned that lesson the hard way, myself. If you even ponder buying it, grab it. That $85.00 is a steal !!!!! Congratulations !!

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
8) The "little" book I referenced, "Sixguns and Sixgun Cartridges", is a Samworth series book, published in 1936, and is a first edition, 151 pages, with a price of $1.50 on it's dust jacket. Amongst other Samworth offerings, Keith's "Big Game Rifles and Cartridges" is also part of the series which also included texts by Askins, Whelen, Hatcher, Crossman, Baker, McBride, and Reichenbach, some 17 texts listed. Samworth has the copyright on this Keith book, Decemeber, 1936. The book's hard cover measures 4 3/4" by 7 3/4". Has to be one of the first written by Keith. I recall finding it at an "old" estate sale's Garage sale a few years ago. I was overjoyed to have found it........... :wink: