New to me early P85

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Georgian

Bearcat
Well I finally got a day off work and picked up my new (to me) P85. So far, I am really pleased with this old wonder nine. It does have an early Ruger two-piece barrel, but that did not seem to affect accuracy.

I ran about 200 rounds of mixed ammo through it today, consisting of Wolf 115gr FMJ, Fiocchi 115 FMJ, IMI 115gr JHP, and some Hornady 135gr Critical Duty. I benched the handgun at 7 and 10 yards. Shooting in groups of 5, the pistol appears to be printing slightly right of my point of aim, but it pretty close to POA/POI overall for me. It seems the pistol likes Wolf and Fiocchi. While shooting groups, the first shot of each string was double action.

The five shot groups are as follows:

7 Yards
-Fiocchi 1 1/2''
-Wolf 1 3/4"
-IMI 2"
-Hornady 2'' and 2 1/4"

-Fiocchi 1 1/2"
-Wolf 2 1/2" (1 1/4" without flyer)
-IMI 2 1/2"
-Hornady 1 1/2"

As you will see in the pictures, the early slide release on this pistol is quite large, which caused me to inadvertently activate it several times while at the range, causing two to three failures to return to battery. As a result, I have ordered the updated shorter slide stop from Numrich. I also believe the magazine springs in the two magazines that came with the handgun need replacing, so new springs are on order.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I have a P85 I bought in 1987.
I have shot more bullets through this gun than a truck could carry and it still shoots good.
It is always in my truck.
I trust it more than any other pistol I have.

roylt

Hunter
That is a very rare gun!!

Looks to be one of the first runs. I would hold on to that as a collector gun.

I am a P-nut and have never seen that very early barrel design.

It has not had the recall does either but If it was mine I would just keep it safe.

Keep the P-Guns alive!!!

hittman

Staff member
gasmandave said:
I'm looking at a P85 at my LGS. Seems good but lots of holster wear. What would be a good value range be?

$200

Local pawn shop has a P89 now with lots of holster wear for $200.

Also have a really nice P90 for $300.

gasmandave

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
gasmandave said:
I'm looking at a P85 at my LGS. Seems good but lots of holster wear. What would be a good value range be?

$200

Local pawn shop has a P89 now with lots of holster wear for $200.

Also have a really nice P90 for $300.

Okay, thanks, my LGS might be a little high at $350.

Georgian

Bearcat
Well I adjusted the sights slightly and I am extremely surprised with the accuracy of this P85. Most people do not believe these guns are capable of being shot accurately, and articles written about the gun at the time it was released showed mediocre accuracy. Unless I just happened across an above average P85, I am more than satisfied with this handgun. I am including several target pictures since adjusting the rear sights.

7 yards, full magazine

10 yards, full magazine

25 yards, full magazine

7 yard groups; top group was Rem 115gr FMJ; right group Fiocchi 115gr FMJ; bottom group IMI 115gr HP; left group Wolf steel 115gr FMJ; stickers were 3"

roylt

Hunter
Telling you that is a rare gun and worth keeping forever.

Keep the P-guns alive!!