New to me BH .45 Colt Conversation.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
It would be impossible for Ruger not to know about the midsized frame as they are the ones that build them. Lipeys does not build Ruger revolvers.
If what you say is true, then Ruger seems to be at faukt here because their support organization did NOT know about the Lipsys .45 Flattop being smaller. That would be some internal Ruger communication issues!

NikA

Buckeye
If what you say is true, then Ruger seems to be at faukt here because their support organization did NOT know about the Lipsys .45 Flattop being smaller. That would be some internal Ruger communication issues!
I believe no Ruger company representative is ever going to tell you that you can shoot loads that exceed SAAMI specs in an official capacity. Since that was effectively what you were asking of them, I am not surprised you didn't get the answer you were seeking. From Ruger's perspective, both the large frame and mid frame Blackhawks are equally capable of handling SAAMI-spec .45LC loads.

hittman

Staff member
I believe no Ruger company representative is ever going to tell you that you can shoot loads that exceed SAAMI specs in an official capacity.

large frame and mid frame Blackhawks are equally capable of handling SAAMI-spec .45LC loads.
Agreed and I think both those things are covered in the owners manual.

Rclark

Hunter
While I understand that you had no desire to have the full capability of a Ruger .45 Colt revolver, but to me that just says never shoot the real hot ammo in your gun, and always shoot the lower powered ammo. So, what advantage is it to have a version that cannot shoot the very high end ammo?.
Easy. The Flattops and New Vaqueros are more 'Colt' SAA like and feel just a bit better in the hand (subjective I know). And as I stated, I have not need or desire to shoot true ROL loads, so why a large frame revolver (for me)? I can still load Tier 2 loads which are safe in all my .45s and that is as far as I need to go for my woods loads where I live. As I reload, I can shoot what I want to shoot (from 600fps to 1XXX fps and anything inbetween)... not what is on the store shelves. I've never bought a box of .45 Colt Factory ammo ... period. Nor .44 Special and most of the other calibers I reload for. Do I have a large frame Ruger? I do, as I got them before the flattops arrived on the scene. I use one of the .45 Colt large frame revolvers as my test revolver for loads over the chronograph as then I can compare apples to apples, so to speak, in my load table (spreadsheet is what I use).

Last edited:

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I love mine (model 5242). I fitted some lighter Wolff springs and an SBH hammer for easier one-handing. It has become my home defense gun.

View attachment 8970
I like your taste in ..45 Blackhawks. My favorite is the mate to yours same 4 5/8 barrel, Wolfe spring, Super hammer and Ruger fake ivories. I need to screw on a steel ejector rod housing now and mine will be my favorite forever!

eveled

Hawkeye
Rclark- Yes, is see why you wanted a weaker .45 Colt, but I was not informed of this at all. I wanted one that could shoot ANY ,45 Colt ammo, and even Ruger did not know about this limitation with the Lipsys version. Ruger dod not know that this was alighter version of their .45 Colt BH, and told me repeatedly (via email) that I had the strongest Ruger .45 Colt revolver. But Buffalo Bore told me otherwise, and that I should NOT shoot their very high end .45 Colt ammo since my .45 Ruger was a smaller frame. So, I believed Buffao Bore, and they even put a disclaimer on the ammo page (perhaps as a result of my inquiry) of their high end ammo, and that their most powerful Colt .45 ammo should never be shot in the mid sized Ruger frames, just as the Flattop versionis such a case.

While I understand that you had no desire to have the full capability of a Ruger .45 Colt revolver, but to me that just says never shoot the real hot ammo in your gun, and always shoot the lower powered ammo. So, what advantage is it to have a version that cannot shoot the very high end ammo?.
In my opinion the Lipsys mid size gun is perfect as it is. It will handle all normal .45colt loads and the more powerful .45acp +p. In a smaller well balanced Colt like package.

If I wanted to shoot hot rod .45colt rounds I would buy a gun chambered in .454Casul.

The info about the midframe .45's not handling Ruger only loads is well known and readily available.

Hylander

Single-Sixer
First trip to the range started out decent with the 45 acp shooting into 1.5" at 10 yards.
Went to 25yds and the both cylinders hand big flyers going to like 4"
So next week cylinders go to Doug for honing.