new to me 96/17 along with an Africa-class rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I bought this rifle this evening along with another chambered in 416 Remington Magnum. Someone modified the stock on this 96/17 with paint or something, but the metal is in nice shape. A previous owner also installed a Bushnell scope on the rifle. I was hoping a 10/22 stock would swap out with this one, but when I got it home I saw that it was a no go. I'll have to find some ammo tomorrow so I can try it out.

The 416 Remington is custom built on a Winchester made 1917 action and has a nice walnut stock on it. It's got the dogleg style bolt handle on it. The stock looks kind of like a Remington 700 BDL stock with the black forend tip with a white spacer. The wrist of the stock and the forend have carved oak leaves instead of checkering, and they look pretty nice. The rear sight is one of the folding leaf express type sights, and the barrel which is 18 1/2" or 20" has a deep crown and has integral ports. It is a handy configuration and the guy I bought it from said he carried it while bowhunting. He said he shot the rifle about 10 rimes and even loaned it to his brother in law to use for hunting a bison in Delta Junction, AK. I loaded an 8mm Remington Magnum round in the magazine and cycled it through the rifle and noticed the controlled round feed feature. I think this will make a great testosterone prover rifle.

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I was looking at this again last night, and the receiver says Ruger 96, or Ruger Model 96. The only way to tell that it's a 17 HMR is to look at the barrel. I guess this means that if I were to locate a 22 magnum barrel, that I'd be able to swap the barrels and have a 96/22 magnum. Is that really all it would take?

dusty3030

Bearcat
AkRay":mlr30jl3 said:
I was looking at this again last night, and the receiver says Ruger 96, or Ruger Model 96. The only way to tell that it's a 17 HMR is to look at the barrel. I guess this means that if I were to locate a 22 magnum barrel, that I'd be able to swap the barrels and have a 96/22 magnum. Is that really all it would take?

Yes, all you need to do is swap the barrel.