New to me 44 carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kb2112

Bearcat
Old Ruger fan, new member.

After many years of searching, I finally picked up a 44 carbine over the summer and I have a few questions. Ive been through the search function, and I cant seem to find any answers.

What are the improvements that other owners have made these guns? I know that the stocks sometimes crack, what can be done to prevent this?

This gun will be used mostly for target/deer/coyotes.

Thank you in advance,

Kb

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
What model 44 carbine? I have a CVA hunter single shot. I also have a Rossie 45 colt lever action.
20220810_160400.jpg

Kb2112

Bearcat
Any luck?

Yes and yes. I havent shot it yet, but Im looking forward to it. Im probably going to take it out this week. Is yours scoped? If so, with what?

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
The 99/44 Ruger carbine is a much newer rotary magazine rifle. If your gun is a 1976 tubular magazine, then it is called simply a Ruger .44 Carbine. Some would call it a Deerstalker, which is the name Ruger used for it during the first year of production...until they were forced to discard the name due to trademark conflict. The later rotary Ruger carbine is called the Deerfield. As to suggestions for improving the carbine, there is nothing to improve. They both function well. Best to use standard loads and 240 grain (standard) ammo. Make sure the bullet is jacketed and not pure lead which will clog the gas tube in the barrel. A 2-4 power scope is generally recommended. Cinch down your scope mount screws with Loctite. I would say the most sought after version has the rear Peep sight.

Any luck?

Yes and yes. I havent shot it yet, but Im looking forward to it. Im probably going to take it out this week. Is yours scoped? If so, with what?
Mine has the sporter stock with the grooved beavertail fore end, and no barrel band. It is still iron sighted, which is fine for the ground I hunt on my property.

So far I have two fat does, with another doe tag to fill as well as an any sex tag. It won't be a problem to fil them all, I could have done so yesterday morning when I had eight deer within 50 yards of the house, standing right by the driveway. But there's still plenty of time, and I know there's a couple nice bucks that show up fairly often. I'm waiting for the right one to come along.

You will love that rifle. Carries like a 10/22.

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
Old Ruger fan, new member.

After many years of searching, I finally picked up a 44 carbine over the summer and I have a few questions. Ive been through the search function, and I cant seem to find any answers.

What are the improvements that other owners have made these guns? I know that the stocks sometimes crack, what can be done to prevent this?

This gun will be used mostly for target/deer/coyotes.

Thank you in advance,

Kb
Mine is a 1967 model making it 55 years old. I've never done anything special to the
stock and it's still in great shape. Mine is one of the more rare ones with the peep
(receiver) sight. Only improvement I've made is a Bushnell Red Dot sight. Zeroed
at 33 yd, it's less than a 1/2 inch high at 55 yds and dead on at 75 yards. That's
just about perfect for hunting in the woods around here. It's one of my favorite
rifles. It'll turn a coyote inside out at 50 yd. :cool: Well, maybe not inside out but
close. :)
Dano
DSCN0053a.jpg

240 gr Hornady JXP JHP
.44 MAG RUGER 001a.jpg

DSCN0056a.jpg

40nascar

Banned
I myself just picked one up over the summer. Where can I get a top mount rail that lines up with the pre drilled holes?

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
Sorry, I can't help you with that. I bought the ones I have at least 54 years ago.
I looked at mine and there's no mark to give me a clue either.
Dano

hittman

Staff member
Try a WTB ad in Classifieds or start a thread with what you're looking for in the title.

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
I myself just picked one up over the summer. Where can I get a top mount rail that lines up with the pre drilled holes?
Get these and work from there. You can get a rail that mounts to the Weaver mounts.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

wwb

Hunter
You can't. DO NOT mess with the two front screws on the receiver. The .44 Carbine takes the two bases shown above.... the rear base mounts on the two rear screws on the receiver, the front base mounts on the two screws at the rear of the barrel.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Enjoy your new carbine KB Rush.
today was strictly Ruger day at the range for wife and I. She pretty much stuck to the 10/22 and me the '66 .44 carbine, ran 50 240's through it, man I love that thing.