New (to me) 3 screw SBH, and a couple questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

glass3222

Bearcat
I just picked up a new to me 3 screw Super Black Hawk :D

I think I got a pretty good deal. This is my first single action revolver. Based on the serial number, I believe that is was made in 1963.

I will try to post a pic:

I do have a couple questions:

First, is it safe to dry fire this gun? I do not want to damage anything.

Second, I saw on Ruger's website that the gun can be sent to Ruger for a safety upgrade. Is this to add a transfer bar so I can carry 6 rounds instead of 5 with an empty chamber? If not what is the upgrade and is it worth doing? Will it decrease the value of the gun? I bought the gun to use for hunting and shooting, it is not going to be a safe queen.

glass3222

Bearcat
hittman said:
glass3222 said:
First, is it safe to dry fire this gun? In my opinion, yes. Others here may disagree.

Second, I saw on Ruger's website that the gun can be sent to Ruger for a safety upgrade. Is this to add a transfer bar so I can carry 6 rounds instead of 5 with an empty chamber? Yes.

Will it decrease the value of the gun? Yes.

Thank you for the input. I wanted to make sure I will not damage anything when dry firing. I did not see anything about it in the owners manual that I found online.

glass3222

Bearcat
Mus408 said:
Nice old Ruger! I would keep it the way it is and load 5.

That is my plan for now. For hunting, I doubt I will get 5 well aimed shot off on a deer, let alone 6

RSIno1

Hunter
They return your old parts so you can go back to original. The downside is they stamp the frame that it was converted. Load one skip one load four. 5 rounds should be enough for any 2 leg or 4 leg creature you meet on the trail.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ruger stamps the main frame under the grip frame above the trigger guard with an R for retrofit where you can't see it. I wouldn't worry about losing value on your gun as long as you keep the original parts with it for re-sale. In its present condition which is good, but not 99%, it doesn't have any high collector value anyway.

Hope that helps,

glass3222

Bearcat
I just got back from shooting it. 50 rounds of Federal AE 240 JSP. Shot very well, it shoots much better than I can. I was amazed how manageable the recoil was. I am very happy with this purchase.

glass3222

Bearcat
mran1126 said:
Leave it the way it is. Nothing feels as good as that 3 screw action when you cock it. So smooth.

After shooting it today, I am definitely going to leave it alone. I will just make it a habit to only load 5 with the hammer on an empty. now I just need to get reloading dies to make it reasonably priced to shoot

chet15

Hawkeye
I would also leave it the way it is. The serial number indicates it is a transition gun, where Ruger was transitioning between steel MICRO marked rear sight and an aluminum non-Micro sight, and also transitioning from a steel ejector housing to an aluminum housing...all just before they went to a large size of serial number.
3 of the four transitions are scarce, the only common one (if you would call it that) would be the one with steel housing and MICRO marked steel rear sight.
Chet15

street

Hunter
Chad, I don't understand what you are saying. As the first Super Blackhawks had the small size serial numbers, Micro rear sight, and the steel ejector rod housing. And as I understand the Micro rear sight was the first to go, for the unmarked alum. rear sight, and then the steel ejector rod housing was the next to go for the alum. ejector rod housing, and last the small size serial numbers were changed to large size serial numbers to complete the transition. Are you saying that there are some Supers with micro rear sight, and steel ejector rod housings with large size serial numbers? Or does this transition variation have something to do with the barrel address?

glass3222

Bearcat
chet15 said:
I would also leave it the way it is. The serial number indicates it is a transition gun, where Ruger was transitioning between steel MICRO marked rear sight and an aluminum non-Micro sight, and also transitioning from a steel ejector housing to an aluminum housing...all just before they went to a large size of serial number.
3 of the four transitions are scarce, the only common one (if you would call it that) would be the one with steel housing and MICRO marked steel rear sight.
Chet15

Please explain. How do I tell which, if any of these "transitions" that I have. I am still learning about these fine firearms.

princeout

Blackhawk
Glass,
Somewhere on here is a thread about the RENE - Red Eagle News Exchange, a quarterly publication by Chad Hiddleson, Chet15 on this site. Chad also has a Reference of Ruger Firearms book that tracks the changes, serial numbers, transitions and all the other minutiae associated with collecting Rugers. It is a great reference and a great quarterly newsletter. Contact Chad by PM at Chet15 on this site or email at CHRugers@ AOL.com.

Tim

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
I have one and would not --- WILL NOT send it in for the conversion. I can get along fine with 5 beans in the wheel (and have done so for a lot of years). That old SBH is the peak and perfection of fine revolver manufacture, IMO anyway.

And don't get excited but something in your picture catches my eye. When I got mine, about a year later I was trying out a pair of different grips and was surprised to see the "new" one were too small. Then I noticed the grip frame on my SBH looked a wee smudge longer than others. Come to find out, I inadvertently had bought a rare Long Frame SBH. No.it doesn't shoot any better but I will tellya this: the extra 1/8" on the grip has provided me with a positive grasp on the handle. Never once, in all the years I've had it has that square back Dragoon trigger guard rapped my knuckle when firing any load in that piece. I cannot say that about other SBHs I've fired over the years.

Having said that, you might want to check the length of the grip frame on your fine SBH. It happened to me....

'n' conrats on getting that fine old shooter!

glass3222

Bearcat
Old Judge Creek said:
I have one and would not --- WILL NOT send it in for the conversion. I can get along fine with 5 beans in the wheel (and have done so for a lot of years). That old SBH is the peak and perfection of fine revolver manufacture, IMO anyway.

And don't get excited but something in your picture catches my eye. When I got mine, about a year later I was trying out a pair of different grips and was surprised to see the "new" one were too small. Then I noticed the grip frame on my SBH looked a wee smudge longer than others. Come to find out, I inadvertently had bought a rare Long Frame SBH. No.it doesn't shoot any better but I will tellya this: the extra 1/8" on the grip has provided me with a positive grasp on the handle. Never once, in all the years I've had it has that square back Dragoon trigger guard rapped my knuckle when firing any load in that piece. I cannot say that about other SBHs I've fired over the years.

Having said that, you might want to check the length of the grip frame on your fine SBH. It happened to me....

'n' conrats on getting that fine old shooter!

What do I measure to see if I have the long frame SBH?

glass3222

Bearcat
glass3222 said:
chet15 said:
Chet15

Please explain. How do I tell which, if any of these "transitions" that I have. I am still learning about these fine firearms.

Ok, I did a little research on what I was looking for. I have aluminum non Micro sight and aluminum ejector housing and 1/16" serial number.