new to me 22/45. first .22 pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

voland

Bearcat
I was cruising the gun show in dallas this weekend because I wanted to fondle the mark III's and see what I liked better... After visiting with one dealer I kept walking. Ended up at one of the large, all new handgun dealers and spotted a 22/45 that I liked... I flip the tag and it appears to be a used gun! Wow ok... Price? $200... I could not believe it... Kept my cool and asked if he would let it go for $180... No luck. Ended up $215 out the door.

Took it home and got to cleaning... Looks like it was barely used. It took me almost 45 minutes to put it back together the first time. Took it apart again and put it back together in about 5 minutes. Went to the range... It ran Remington bulk with no problems. CCI minimags, no problems. The Federal bulk gave it fits. stove pipe and ftf every 5 rounds or so... No big deal... I will have to tweak it a little but thats what I expected.

Man, I must say... This is my first .22 pistol and I LOVE it! I didnt think that it would shoot so well and I would have so much fun! Now I wish I would have gotten one sooner!

After reading the forum most of the afternoon, I placed an order for some parts... A large bushing to remove the mag safety, a rail and a new extractor. I think I have a new addiction... :shock:

I look forward to learning a lot from everyone on this forum so thanks in advance and its a pleasure to be here... :D

V.

p.s. no pics cause everyone knows what a 22/45 looks like...

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum AND to owning your first MK series 22. You have discovered what a lot of us found out a long time ago; 22's are fun, especially Ruger 22's!

voland

Bearcat
Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, and the best part is that they are fairly simple to modify... Or so I believe so now...

Ordered a bunch of parts so now is the wait... Really, my goal is to get it to be 100% reliable... Once I get it there, I should be done :)

V.

have fun... but also realize that in general 22lr ammo is finicky ... from your experiment I would just leave the Fed. bulk stuff alone... but it is fun to see if you can fix the problem..

I think what you really need to spend money on is extra magazines.. 5-10 is the right number.

Oh and welcome....

wait until you get a 10/22.....