New to forum - New Alaskan Ordered

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RMWHEELER

Bearcat
I just ordered a new Alaskan 2 1/2 in. in .454. Been wanting one for many years. I realize that the factory grips are there to absorb the shock, but has anyone used wood instead? If so, any pics and info?

Thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum. That model of Ruger has yet to grace my safe & ownership. But the ones I've handled so far have felt quite good. Can't help ya on the stocks!

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
All grips that fit the GP100 will work with the SuperRedHawk/Alaskan family. They're the same "grip stud" under there.

Comfort is another issue entirely!!!

batmann

Single-Sixer
I have an Alaskan in .44M and I put a set of Letts with the wood insets on it. They are the original grips that used to be on the SRH and GP and I like them better than the Rubber Hogues that came on it. If you to the Ruger site, they have them again. Be sure to find out if they come with the grip placement pin, the one that comes with the rubber Hogue's is to small.
Hogue also has wood grips for the SRH, but I would imagine they would be a 'Bear' (pun intended) to shoot.

I have a set of Hoague wood grips for my Alaskan, but use them only when I carry it with downloaded .454 cartridges. Otherwise, use the rubber or rubber-and-wood grips. I do like the look of the all-wood grips better.

oldgoat46

Bearcat
I have a redhawk in 44 mag with the wooden grips. 6 rounds and I bought some Pachmeyer presentation grips for it. the wood is pretty but it is too much hand gun for the skinny grips.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have the alaskan in 454 and love it mine is mild shooting with the win. white box ammo. I have several other types I have not tried but the win stuff is mild. But I also have a S&W 500 mag in a 4" that I shoot and even have shot a few 700 gr cast bullets in it doesnt seem that bad either.

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
If you need to experience that kind of pain level and like the feel of wood against soft skin, why not just slam your hand in the door a few times - it saves money on ammo, gas driving to the range, saves wear and tear on your gun and keeps the gun banners happy too :)

Redstick

Single-Sixer
Redhawk4":2bphryto said:
If you need to experience that kind of pain level and like the feel of wood against soft skin, why not just slam your hand in the door a few times - it saves money on ammo, gas driving to the range, saves wear and tear on your gun and keeps the gun banners happy too :)

Actually, some folks shoot/practice alot more and are not so recoil sensitive. Some folks hands are hard calloused from work - NOT SOFT. And the gun banners will never be happy, 'cause they'd just move on to knives or sticks or rocks...

RMWHEELER, you're gonna LOVE yer new gun! It is VERY managable recoil with the factory Hogue grips it comes with, even one-handed. With the shorter barrel, the pressure dosen't build up so much to make the recoil severe in the least - for an experienced shooter. So I would look for a Hogue Hardwood grip or another choice would be the rubber GP-100 grip with inserts.

Magnum Research's BFR in .454 with the 7 1/2" barrel and a set of Hogue Hardwoods DOES recoil much more than the Alaskan. It came with a set of Pachmayr's and was a beast with them! Since I put the Hogue Hardwoods on it, whenever I let someone else try it out, they just shoot it one time and hand it right back to me - don't even finish the rest of the loads in the cylinder! :D But I like it - and am more used to it.

With the Alaskan goin' Double Action as fast as I could pull the trigger, all the shots went into an 8" circle at distance of 50'. I didn't think that was much recoil at all, being able to keep them all right in there.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
You can toughen up your hands just fine.

You can't toughen up the cartilage in your wrists.

Ever seen any of John Taffin's forum posts lately? He types in all-caps. He has to and those of us who know why never ever complain. He's destroyed his wrists and the shift key hurts too much.

He blames it on too much handcannon-class shooting.

GhosT

Blackhawk
WOW ,
Alaskan 2 1/2 in. in .454.....Kudos to you guys that can handle that gun's recoil with full power loads.

Then trying to replace recoil absorbing grips with better looking wood?
Blows my mind.

Makes me feel like a wimp,as my recoil limit.... two .44 magnum handguns.
Ohh, if I stumble across an Alaskan 2 1/2 in. in .44 magnum, I might buy it.............then have it MAGNAPORTED...lol...

I WISH could handle the recoil you guys seem fine with!

Pal Val

Buckeye
+1 to being mindful of recoil. I have seen the effect in my own wrists. Years ago, I could take 200 rounds of heavy .44 mag ammo to the range and shoot it with no effect. I'm now down to 20 or 30 before my right wrist starts sending shooting pains.

There's such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Before anyone calls me a wimp, I'm a big-boned 6'2", 265 lbs and can wrap my hand around a baseball and you'll see no white. :wink:

batmann

Single-Sixer
Keep the original grips and practice with lighter recoiling rounds, you will be fine. I don't shoot heavy .44M often, only a couple cyls even then. Shooting is supposed to be fun and I have just as much fun shooting lighter loads out of my Alaskan as I do the heavies.

RMWHEELER

Bearcat
Great input! Thanks to all. I no longer have any desire for wood!! I bought the Alaskan to carry in the Rockies ...big cats, moose, and an occasional bear and the worst of all, the two legged vermon.

GhosT

Blackhawk
RMWHEELER,

KUDOS.........on yer last post!

Most guys get hooked...woulda tried wood grips first!
AND THE DO LOOK NICE!

You just saved yourself alot of ABUSE!

EVEN with recoil absorbing grips.......
Highly suggest starting with less than full loads, work yer way up.
WELL PROVEN, best way not to end up with the evil FLINCH!

Latest posts