New to Board, Will a P85 MkII slide fit a P89?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KEN TN

Bearcat
I have a friend who has a P89DC and it has a lot of pitting on the blue slide.
I have found a P85 MKII Stainless slide. Will it fit the P89 or is there a difference in the frames of the P89DC and a P85 MKII with manual Safety?

I am a long Term Ruger Guy but no prior experience with the P series.
My first two Rugers were bought in 1978. I bought a Single Six and a Std Model 22 at the same time. Those two have been sold but many others have replaced them.

I just added a like new KP89 stainless to my collection this month.
Can't wait to reload and go shoot it. I had to add this one, I did not have a 9mm and I won an auction for 4,000 rounds of once fired 9mm brass.
I guess you could say this was a SHTF purchase. I got a great price on the brass and the gun. I could not pass either one up.

Thanks,
Ken TN

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the board.

I am not sure at all about a P85 slide fitting a P89 but what I do know is a safety model slide will not work on a decocker only P series.

Being a decocker only even with the pitting makes the gun worth more than the safety model IMHO.

tk

sargents1

Single-Sixer
KEN TN":3dvk7g63 said:
I have a friend who has a P89DC and it has a lot of pitting on the blue slide.
I have found a P85 MKII Stainless slide. Will it fit the P89 or is there a difference in the frames of the P89DC and a P85 MKII with manual Safety?

I am a long Term Ruger Guy but no prior experience with the P series.
My first two Rugers were bought in 1978. I bought a Single Six and a Std Model 22 at the same time. Those two have been sold but many others have replaced them.

I just added a like new KP89 stainless to my collection this month.
Can't wait to reload and go shoot it. I had to add this one, I did not have a 9mm and I won an auction for 4,000 rounds of once fired 9mm brass.
I guess you could say this was a SHTF purchase. I got a great price on the brass and the gun. I could not pass either one up.

Thanks,
Ken TN

I tried this with my P85 and a friend's P89. The Slides will swap, but it causes problems, the guns wont cycle. We didnt try shooting them but we did try to rack the slides. No-Go.

Also, you will have a bear of a time getting your slides off again. We had to rig a coat hanger to reach up thru the handle and pull the extractor down to be able to rack the slides back and push the takedown pins thru to take the slides back off. Not a fun process.

If your friend has a P89 in need of a slide, get a P89 slide. You can find them on gunbroker.com. Better yet, have your friend pony up the 250-300 bones necessary to get New P89 and keep the old one for parts.

If one is good, two is better :)

Cheers,

S

You can find a P89 slide ... they've even been offered in our classifieds here.. I bought one last year... usually less than a hundred bucks... but like has been mentioned it needs to match the frame... safety or decock... I'm pretty sure you can't trade one for the other... wish you could.... I'd probably be willing to sell one of the safety slides I have.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
blume357":2cjrayu2 said:
You can find a P89 slide ... they've even been offered in our classifieds here.. I bought one last year... usually less than a hundred bucks... but like has been mentioned it needs to match the frame... safety or decock... I'm pretty sure you can't trade one for the other... wish you could.... I'd probably be willing to sell one of the safety slides I have.
I have no personal experience with the P89, but I have swapped out top ends on my P90. I have a blued, safety model P90 and a stainless KP90 DC (decock only) top end. They swap without issue, though I now use it exclusively with the decocker top end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqfKcQ-5uLU
Regards,
Greg

Latest posts